Monday, April 6, 2009

Year 1 Blues - Do FA children have difficulty?

Well, I had a good sleep last night. I had a good weekend even though I felt flat from infusion. We had kids' club on Friday night which was fun for Isaac but unfortunately it causes bed time to be delayed by about an hour and a half. In stead of Isaac being in bed by 7pm with the lights out, he is in bed by 8.30pm. Not so bad being a Friday night.

However, then on Sat night we had some friends over and Isaac was in bed a lot later. May be in bed by 8.30pm but not asleep until 9pm. Way too late for Isaac and I was thinking about the fact that school was in a day and I needed to have him well rested. Sunday was the usual. I was at home because of infusion reaction and Alan and Isaac went to church. Daylight Savings changed and was over so Isaac woke at 6am instead of 7am. That made him tired and he was quite ratty for Sunday afternoon and evening that I took away his bed time story and had the lights out just before 7pm on Sunday night, feeling concerned about what he would be like at school the next day.

Most of you know that for the first term of school, in year 1 this year, Isaac has struggled with the year 1 work load and by Wednesday he is really tired and kind of shuts off and gets silly and won't listen, glazed eyes and so forth. So for about 5 weeks or 6....something like that, he had Wed afternoon off at home from 12pm. It worked and he perked up, handling school a lot better, doing heaps better with his spelling tests. Last week I noticed him getting tired again and a bit hyperactive at school on Wed. He has done 2 full Wednesdays again to see how he copes. I was a bit concerned at how he would cope with the spelling test on Friday and when I picked him up from school today I found out he hardly tried and only wrote down 3 words out of the 7! I felt concerned.

To be honest, I was a little taken back today when his teacher started to chat with me. She is absolutely lovely and very caring but I couldn't help but feel really down! She started with how Isaac didn't do too well at his spelling test last Friday and I expressed concern about him being tired again. Then she went on to say that he had been hitting kids today and punched a child in the playground. This completely surprised me as Isaac is not a physically violent kid! In fact, he is usually the one being bossed around! The child he supposedly punched was the one who often hits him in the playground and literally, throws him around. We have had to deal with that before so I wonder if that was provoked but I have NO idea! She said he had been really silly all day and not paying attention in class and everything she told him went straight over his head! He has been a bit like this on the weekend and I have put it down to him being tired. I have also felt bad because I had been getting him in bed by 7.30pm all week instead of 7pm and he seemed to be suffering from it....hence my worry! On top of this, Isaac has a good friend whome he really likes and so Isaac likes to cuddle him. Isaac is a REALLY affectionate kid. When he likes someone, he wants to express that affection. Up to now, I have had trouble explaining to him that he cannot do this at school because this child doesn't like it. That generally boys don't like it and he mustn't do it. Well I find out today that this child who is a really good friend doesn't want to be friends with Isaac anymore because Isaac won't leave him alone! I stood there horrified and feeling like I wanted to cry! I felt like I didn't know my own child! So I discussed this issue with the teacher and the hitting and the tiredness and so forth.

We only had parent/teacher interviews on Tuesday last week. I was late and Alan went on his own for the first interview because I was working. I suppose I would have thought that some of this stuff would have been revealed at the interview if it has been an ongoing problem. The teacher started to discuss how she isn't sure if Isaac will be able to go on to year 2 next year. Now I started to feel panic. I know that parents shouldn't panic about that stuff but you don't want your kid to be behind even if an extra year of school helps them to be infront if you know what i mean? She said that they usually make a decision by June if the child has to stay back, depending on their progress half way through term 2. She also said, "so try not to worry about it right now" but how do you NOT worry about it??? She mentioned that not only is he little (I know FA parents would deal a lot with that) but he also seems more immature than the other kids and where he is right now, he couldn't be expected to be in year 2. However, it is just the first term. He has had 10 weeks of being in year 1, how would you know? That is what I say.....although there must be certain milestones that he should have accomplished. Isaac's real good friends are all with him and I don't want him to not move on with them! I also want to continue with them as a mum of year 2! I know, I know.....this is silly. If it is best for Isaac then who am I to argue or be upset......but I DO feel upset and I don't want him to repeat and I am SO upset about his behaviour today because I didn't raise him to act this way *sigh*

I know, in the back of my mind, that Isaac was born 13 weeks early. I know that this could affect his development and cause him to act younger in areas but at the beginning of the year they were telling me how focused he was and how he was a machine and very independant. How come I didn't hear any of this "may need to repeat the year" at the parent/teacher interviews......OR is it just that they are thinking that after a really bad day today! *sigh* Alan said it may be a knee jerk reaction from today or may be they have been watching and waiting to say something but were not planning to at the parent/teacher interview.

I feel bad that I didn't have him in bed real early on the weekend. I have come to realise how important bed time is to a school child. He must have his lights off at 7pm. Tonight it was 6.30pm. So I did well tonight. Both Alan and I spoke sternly to him about the consequences of hitting at school....what would happen at school as a consequence and at home. We spoke to him about the cuddling issue and how serious that is and how no one will want to be his friend if he ends up being the "naughty kid" who hits and does things kids don't like. We spoke to him about the "not listening" and that if that continued he would be in the office at school. Some of you may think I am harsh, but kids don't seem to stop unless they KNOW what the consequence is and how serious it is! So in devotions tonight Isaac prayed to Jesus, first saying sorry for not listening, cuddling and hitting (whoah, what opposites). He then asked for forgiveness and asked Jesus to help him not do it again. He missed out on sweets after dinner tonight due to not listening and for Isaac that is devastating. Isaac also knows that every day we will be asking his teacher how he behaved and if he listened and so forth.

I hate disciplining but it comes with parenthood just like the cuddling and kissing and reassuring. I just wish I never had to do it. However, if they misbehave, you have to carry through the discipline otherwise they will never take you seriously.

Tomorrow morning at school will be full of apologies. Alan and Isaac will go to the friend who he cuddles and stuff and Isaac will say sorry to him in front of his mum, then the teacher and the other 2 children he hit today. One must face up to things when one has done wrong and correct it quickly. *sigh* Believe me, Isaac really is a sweet kid..........

May be I feel so down because of infusion as well.

I needed to let out all my feelings on this topic. I feel like it is my fault that he is struggling with tiredness and acting like this. I need to be more diligent to get him in to bed and lights out at 7pm and sometimes I just don't. I am learning how important an early bed time is for school children. Not that Isaac ever stayed up super late. Just seems like there is no room for error with school *sigh*

I am interested to know how children with FA cope at school. Parents, do your children need a strict bed time? Do they get SO tired that they get ratty? Do they have to repeat much? Are they more immature at school than the others?

Thanks for reading and commenting. It means a lot! I hope I am doing an ok job at parenting amongst everything else!
Love Charisse

9 comments:

Katie W said...

My goodness Charisse--what a lot to deal with! I've noticed that with any child, it's important to keep a consistent bedtime and a routine, but it's not always easy to do, especially when you have children in different groups--some need more sleep and some are older and don't. I also think that one or two nights of a messed up schedule can take some time to get back to "normal." Anyway....I also think that all children kind of test the waters a bit. Does this bully boy get in trouble for harassing Isaac? If not, then maybe he decided to act the same way. It's so hard in today's day and age to understand that it makes others uncomfortable when a child is extremely affectionate. It's also common for some kids to be a little behind or overwhelmed and suddenly, things click and they're right on track. I wouldn't give up on him yet--although I agree--it's super tough not to worry about it. You sure had everything happen at once, didn't you?
You're in my prayers!
Katie

Rebecca Rose said...

I think Katie's advice is good.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Charisse. You're doing a good job. You have a lot to take care of. You're doing good with Isaac. It's totally understandable that you would be stressed about these difficulties you're having with Isaac. It's clear that he's a good kid or else you wouldn't be so shocked by his new behavior. Sounds like he just needs some extra guidance.

Best of luck, Charisse.
Love, Becca

Teresa said...

hugs charisse,

I'm so sorry things are stressful for you guys right now. I think the lack of sleep is probably a HUGE factor in this. I have a very hard time listenng when I am tired. I am also a little more grumpy as well. I wonder if that is why he is having difficulty listening and why he hit the boy. I know you're not used to him hittng but it is a normal thing for a kid to do, especially when picked on. I don't think what you are describing sounds odd or abnormal. It definitely needs to improve, but school can be boring sometimes and not hold his attention. Boys tend to be less interesting in having to sit for long periods of time. Point being, I think you have yourself a very sweet boy who is probably bored and tired at times. It's also hard for them to learn to not cuddle. Ts is totally that way too.

I think katie had a very good point that kids will be fine, then seem to lag, then have a brain leap and catch up. Don't be too hard on yourself or him (though I think what you are doing is great for him). I think you might be surprised as to how many kids in general have very similar issues.

Hugs/love,
Teresa

Lynn said...

You're in my thoughts and prayers!
Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Cathy Troup said...

Hi Rissy

Hmmmmm what a pressure, you are definately NOT a bad parent, if one could give out BROWNIE points for good and caring parents you would win!! Heee Heee, I am a junk yard dog compared with you!!!!

I guess parenting is a bit like God "Just when you thought you knew Him he went and did tHAT??!!!!" or like the quote in the movie Cheaper than a Dozen.......cathy's paraphrase....."we had a couple of kids and mess of theories about raising them....then we had mess of kids with no theories!!!!" There is no formula (I wish to God there was Charisse!!) But kids are kids they have to work themselves out too!!!

Let me encourage you in one way though, age is not really important in the big picture of life......schools (through necessity) put kids in age groups, but really kids ESPECIALLY boys develop at diff rates, boys emotional development is REMARKABLY slow.....hey look at hubbies (SNORT LAUGH??@@!!....that was a joke AL and James!)

But seriously it is a known fact about lads that is......I kept my Josh back a year too (although fortunately I had the unnoticable homeschool)....at 5 he was NOT ready for formal learning.... so I let him play another year. Now he is 15 writing novels and poetry!!! But a year later...but that is OK!!!!

In a sense they may want to do that with Isaac.....he just needs more time to settle and grow in ALL areas. We (parents our age) have stigmatised "staying down" and associated it with intelligence...it is FAR from the truth.

Remember education is about the WHOLE child......if he or she cannot emotionally/physically/spiritually deal with the pressure he or she will NOT learn anyway. I think that it is WAY better to deal with that now than to push him thru quickly and he not learn (that is the teacher in me talking!!!)

Your little family has had a lot to deal with over the years and maybe Isaac needs some time to catch up emotionally too!! Sleep is important, but our acceptance of where our kids are too is VITAL....

You are normal, I too sometimes I get worried where my kids are at, but the WHOLE picture is the key!!

Isaac has such a sweet temperament that that is the thing that needs to be nurtured and not squashed in the educational process, that I think is what the teachers are trying to protect in him! Space to grow and space to be!! Darling I gotta go.....you are a great parent, God is with you!! Tea calls I gotta go. Love ya your old pal Cathy

Jennifer said...

Being a mom is the hardest job on earth! The worry/guilt starts at birth and eats us up! Bumps in the road come for all children, and since children don't come with instruction books, we work out solutions has we go. And pray to God that we are the parent this child needs! Sounds to me like you guys are doing a wonderful job and this is something he is just going to have to work through. He is a wonderful child just going through a transition, and sometimes it just takes time for kids to get used to change. I am sure with some time, patience and encouragement he will do just fine. But it is hard, because it is so hard to watch our kids struggle, it breaks my heart to watch my daughter struggle at school sometimes. But so is life, but God is with them! Keep us posted on how he is doing, I pray things settle down for him soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse: Wow, lots to deal with! I would feel exactly as you do! Don't beat yourself up, you and Alan are excellent parents, and I look up to you for that.
I pray that the situtation would resolve well soon.

Daniel has spent the last couple of weeks playing up too, and has 'decided' he doesn't want as many sleeps any more. But he still physically needs them. It's so tiring! So I can relate a little.
They aren't wrong when they say that parenting is the hardest job in the world! But it is the most rewarding too.
I hope things start looking brighter soon.
Love you!
Leah

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to let you know I'm here praying!
Psalms 28:1-2 Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit. Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

This is very long but on this day of all days it's worth reading in it's entirety. Know that I'm always praying!
Isaiah 53:1-12 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Prayer Bears
My email address