Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Isaac is a Trooper!

Hi All,

it is 1015pm. I got home from the hospital not long ago. Alan and Isaac are still there as Isaac is overnight tonight. I came home to make sure I got some good sleep. When I don't sleep well, I feel really tired and nasty ulcers come up. We decided that with our crazy lives right now, me being with Isaac tonight may not have been a good idea. Alan sleeps through anything pretty much so he stayed and I came home to tend to the 2 kitty cats and get some good sleep, only to go back in the morning to the hospital. Isaac should be coming home tomorrow.

The tonsillectomy went well. They also removed his adenoids. The surgeon came in later in the evening and said that there were no complications but that Isaac's tonsils were HUGE and the biggest he had ever seen! He also said that Isaac's adenoids were absolutely huge as well and no wonder he was obstructing! He said that Isaac will be able to sleep and breathe so much easier now. He also said the anaethetist was blown away when he was intubating Isaac. He said that the anaesthetist was pretty impressed by the size of his tonsils.....hehe.....so we definitely did the right thing in having them removed. He should have no problems with sleep apnoea now which means that all those issues he was having should resolve themselves now! Praise the Lord!

It was an interesting day. We got to the hospital at 12pm. Isaac had to fast from 7am and could drink water until 2 hours before the surgery time which was 2pm. So he stopped having stuff at about 11am when we left for the hospital. He was supposed to be 3rd on the list at first but that changed and he was further down the list which took his surgery to about 3.30pm or 4pm. Poor love, he had nothing to eat all that time! Nothing to drink from 11am! His surgery ended up being at 4.30pm! What a long time to wait for a little guy. I am impressed with how Isaac handled it all! We brought colouring in books and pencils. He got a colouring in book from his Aunty, Uncle and cousins for the occasion. We also brought an activity Bible which you read and do certain activities. He enjoyed that. He brought some cars and toys. Of course, he had his snuggly and his soft toys that he sleeps with.....and a new soft toy cat that he named "White" from his Aunty, Uncle and cousins as well :-)

While we waited for surgery, Isaac and I walked around the lovely garden and paths by the hospital. This is a private hospital and quite nice and quaint. We picked berries.....hehe.....but didn't eat them. Just as an activity. The type you are allowed to pick but not many. We explored the hospital. This kept him rather busy but around 3.30pm he started to say he was hungry and wanted something to eat. At 3.50pm I went to the nurses station and asked how long it would be and they said half hour. So I busied Isaac with something else. Alan was there too.

Every time the nurse came to chat, Isaac would get shy and not say much. When the anaesthetist came to visit him, he didn't really want to chat. However, he was so well behaved! We had heaps of chats about how he would go to sleep and that he would wake up with an IV drip and what that was for. Isaac usually freaks out over IV drips and tape.....anything sticky! He freaks! I was really worried! He becomes distressed when talking about it. We talked about the soreness afterwards and what they can do for that. SO he was prepared. His new toy cat talked a lot about it to in the days leading up to the surgery and today when Isaac wanted to talk about it.

Oh yes, the anaesthetist talked about how they usually give children a pre-med to settle them but with the degree of obstruction, there was the risk of Isaac obstructing here in the room and that becoming serious. He said that medication can cause them to obstruct like that. I understood and didn't want Isaac in danger so knew we just had to be gentle with him and understanding and reassuring and it was all fine in the end. I know that they have to do what is best for Isaac and I certainly don't want his breathing compromised before the surgery has even begun! They entertained him so well even though he couldn't have the pre-med.

So at 4.30pm they came in to take him down. I went with him. I felt like I wanted to be the one since Alan was staying the night with him. Isaac rode down on the bed and he said, "I have never been on a ride like this!". It was good to see him smile even though I could tell he was feeling uncertain. He asked questions all the way. When we got to holding bay he said, "what is this room" and I talked about it and what the nurses and doctors wear and so on. He was real quiet until they gave him a balloon and then he brightened up real excited like. That was a relief. I got gowned up and was telling him that mummy wears this stuff when she works as a nurse. So Isaac asked me about that and we talked. The doctor came to speak and smiled heaps and we went into the area where the operating rooms are. Isaac was heaps uncertain when he saw that room......a strange bed and equipement with people gowned up....no face masks yet. I carried him into the room and he asked, "what's this room?" with an uncertain look. I told him it was the operating room and look at all the stuff. I told him all about it and he was real interested. We sat on a chair beside the bed with Isaac on my lap. The anaesthetist was SO nice. I liked him a lot and that is saying a LOT! Haha! He talked to Isaac about everything. He had told Isaac about the mask and we had told Isaac too. So he showed him the mask and got me to have one of Isaac's arm under my arm and the other me hugging him to myself so that I had his arms securely but like a hug instead of holding down. Isaac's head was on my chest and he was relaxed. The anaesthetist told Isaac to breathe the mask and right now he had no colours in it. (the doctor was asking Isaac's favourite colours. For example, red....what does red smell like? Then he would add the smell to the anaesthetic). So Isaac was talking about colours and the doctor said he was now going to add that colour smell to the gas and "can you smell it, Isaac? Do you think that smells like the colour red? How about this smell? Do you think this smells like the colour yellow?" Each time he added a smell the anaesthetic got increased. Isaac was happy to have him hold the mask up which I was surprised but Isaac was distracted by me tickling his arm and hugging him and the conversation of the anaesthetist. Then the doctor said he was going to add the colour blue like on the mask. He asked Isaac if he can smell it and Isaac said in a joking kind of voice, "noooo....hehe....I can't smell blue because it is on the outside of the mask!". He wriggled his hand out and pointed to the colour on the outside and we all told him how clever he was and then within seconds his eyes rolled back and he started to snore. In those moments when you feel your child totally relax and see their eyes roll back and the colour and them twitch, you feel real weird and you see how vulnerable your baby is. So I was trying to hold back the tears. They got me to lift him on the bed with some help. He looked so vulnerable on the bed and the anaesthetist asked me if I wanted to kiss Isaac on the face before leaving and I said yes.....he lifted the mask and I kissed him. Then a nurse showed me out and put her arm around me and asked me if I was ok. They were SO nice and I was REALLY impressed. I mean, when I had my surgery done at this hospital they handled my anxieties SO well. I was VERY impressed! I turned to the anaesthetist before leaving and said, "take care of my baby" and he said he would with a smile. SO sweet.

I started the walk back to the ward and in the elevator I had tears forming and was trying not to bawl my eyes out. I got to Isaac's room and was holding back the tears. I felt silly and I did snap at Alan and am sorry for that. I just felt SO teary about my sweet baby being so vulnerable and needed to do something so I didn't worry about him the whole time. So Alan and I went for dinner. It was 5pm when I got back to Alan. We went over to a cafe in the women's and children's which is across the road and not long after we finished our meal, they called us to tell us Isaac was back! That was quick. SO we hurried back and he was in his room, VERY sleepy but there. He opened his eyes and a few tears. I wanted to hold him so badly but the nurse was busy with him and Alan was on the other side. I wanted to cry when I saw him start to cry a little.

Whoah....the feelings that a mother experiences! It is crazy! Once the nurse moved I wasted NO time sitting next to Isaac and caressing him. He enjoyed a tickle on his arm and his throat was sore. He asked if his tonsils were gone and he had a few tears when I said yes. He had his drip in, bandaged with bright red, rubber bandage. He saw it and we explained but he didn't freak! He was SO brave! He has the drip in all night and he accepted that. He kept it under his covers and said he didn't want to see it. Before I left he was getting used to it and smiling more. He had eaten a full sandwich and had some ice-cream and a chocolate milk. I sure hope he doesn't throw up but he hadn't felt like throwing up. I made sure he was given pain relief only moments after being on the ward and that helped. He hasn't spat any blood up! He hasn't vomited!

The doctor warned us that his voice could get higher in pitch when everything was removed. Well, I already notice it! Isaac isn't nasally anymore and his voice is higher in pitch. The doctor said his voice is now how it should be. He sounds SO cute and clear.

Tomorrow he will have his IV out and he is scared about that. I want to make sure they use something to help the sticky tape off without it hurting because he is petrified and started to wimper over it tonight. He hates tape.....I think from having it when he was so young and premie.....bad experiences with tape and soreness and stickiness.

Oh, something that was cute. He had changed into the cute, little gown they gave him and he was walking around. Two nurses saw him and said how gorgeous he is. They then said to Isaac that he looked so cute in his gown. Alan was standing behind Isaac and Isaac turned around, rolled his eyes and smiled a funny, embarrassed smile as if those nurses are SO ozzy or silly....haha. It was funny.

Another funny. I was asking Isaac whether he remembered the man talking about smelling the colours from the mask and he said, "yep, but those smells were a bit stinky and they are not from anywhere in this world!!!" I laughed out loud and agreed that the gas stinks and that they don't really smell like the colours the doctor was talking about! He acted like the doctor was real silly for thinking those stinky smells were anything like the colours he was talking about! Hehe

So I suppose I should go to bed. I can't wait to be with Isaac tomorrow again. It was a success and I pray that Isaac sleeps well and feels good tomorrow to be able to go home.

Thanks for praying for him.
Love Charisse

7 comments:

Momma Bear said...

I'm so happy that Issac had a good experience as well as you Charisse! I know that feeling so well of leaving them in the room. It's horrible but wonderful to see them when they wake back up! I'm sure you all are glad its overwith!

Blessings and Bear Hugs,

Judy said...

I am so glad that things went well. You have such a brave young man, and I can tell how proud you are. I know how you feel with the procedures, and being teary eyed when you leave them in the hands of the doctors and such. It is scary, and a bit overwhelming, and I am proud of how you handled it all. Praying for a quick recovery, and improvements on the other issues. Love you heaps my friend! Take care of yourself, as you tend to your young man.

Hannah said...

So happy things went well for you guys & Isaac! Praise the Lord! He sounds like a real little trouper. And ***hugs*** to momma for surviving it too. It reminds me of when we had an 18 month old go under anethesia for dental surgery. I cried like a baby too. Must be a motherhood thing. :)

Anonymous said...

Praying that the Lord will always be with you no matter what the future holds.
Isaiah 43:1-3a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour...
Prayer BearsMy email address

Lynn said...

Hope Isaac's doing better now!
Know that I'm here praying as always!
John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm glad everything went well. Tell Isaac that he's soooo brave and that we're proud of him. I empathise with you Charisse- I'm sure I would be the same with Daniel in that situation! I pray that all the problems that have occurred will vanish now!
Love you!
Leah

Katie W said...

Wow--the doctor sounds very good. And Isaac is such a brave boy!!