Saturday, April 25, 2009

Isaac home

Hello All,

Isaac came home at 10am this morning. He has been a bit brighter. However, eating is not something he likes to do. I am not pushing eating at the moment. Drinking is what we need him to do more. I have made strawberry milks, banana/chocolate/ice cream milk shakes, water and offered red cordial and more. It doesn't seem to matter what I offer or set before him, he grizzles and takes these tiny sips! I thought he would gulp down the banana/chocolate milk shake like he usually does and he turned the whole thing away! It is so frustrating.

He drank enough late last night at the hospital because his current IV jelco was inflammed and had to come out. We told him that if he drank enough then he would not need another. We had to really encourage him but he got a whole cup of milk down with our insistence in about an hour. Then he had some water while we played a game and went for a walk. So he was allowed home today. Also, Alan and I wondered if now that he can swallow water and stuff, that he might improve in his own environment at home. We must continue to encourage the drinking. The problem is that Isaac is refusing the stuff he really likes. If I purree things like soup and stuff, he will refuse that and clamp his teeth shut. He doesn't even want any chocolate!

So I just keep encouraging and reminding him that if he doesn't have fluids, then we have to ring the paed and go back to the hospital. Even ice-cream is a fluid. SO he can have a big bowl of ice-cream. Do you think he wanted it? Noooooooooo.........he has had 3 teaspoons of custard (that is also a type of fluid) and wanted no more. It has been really frustrating. How much he wees out will tell me how hydrated he is. So we will continue and it can only get better as his surgical site heals more and more.

What a drama at lunch time with the antibiotics. He didn't want them. Usually he LOVES the taste of the antibiotics. But not when he feels like this. If I put them in something else he just refuses it and we waste it. I learnt that at the hospital. I can disguise something in poo medicine but some things can't be mixed with this medicine. I disguised oxycodone in that the first night and he took it. You see, Isaac has trouble with constipation and he knows if he doesn't take that stuff, he gets real sore. He also likes the taste......so no matter what, he takes his poo medicine quite happily. If only he connected the two dots with his recovery and the medicine he has to have......if only he would realise how this would all help. SO it took 20 mins to get the antibiotic down and he spat the first bit. I actually got a bit cross because I think Isaac needed to have some "firmness" to see that this is not acceptable. He is 6 and you can reason with them a bit., but not much when they are unwell it seems...ahhhhhh.

You see with tonsillectomies, the more they DON'T eat or drink, the worse the pain actually gets. So the pain goes in a cycle............it is annoying.

So I guess I should go and encourage him to take another sip. It has been a long week.

Love Charisse

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there chook...It is hard to measure the degree of firmness and understanding, pray God will tell ya. Glad he is home he will be better there. Take care and try not to worry too much, bad weeks end, tomorrow is a better week coming. Blessings and hugs Cath

Rebecca Rose said...

I am so glad the Isaac is home! What a scare!
Yes, Teresa was right, I had a big bleed with my tonsillectomy. I was 14 I think, maybe 13. It was a week after my surgery and while I was sleeping at night I woke up to choking on a mouthful of blood. I ended loosing about 8oz or so. I had lots of complications throughout the recovery and was completely bed-ridden for 2-3 months and then still very sick for another 3 months.

If it makes you feel any better, I was the same as Isaac. It hurt so bad to drink or eat. I was older so I could sometimes force myself to drink (I only wanted AJ) and then my throat would feel a bit better. Eating always made my throat hurt a lot more though so I didn't like eating at all! I did NOT like ice cream because then there was lots of mucus in my throat from the dairy and it made it hurt a lot more. Later my doctor told me that after a tonsillectomy that you should not eat dairy until you are completely healed because the mucus irritates the throat and causes more pain...which I had already figured out.

I really think that in a couple of days Isaac will start at least drinking better (as long as his healing goes well). Just keep encouraging him to drink. I didn't want to eat for awhile and when I did only very specific things sounded good. I bet he'll let you know as things start sounding good. Regardless, at some point he's going to get hungry and want to eat. But, as you know, after surgery you typically don't really have an appetite especially if the surgery is in your mouth. Hopefully he can stay hydrated though and gets lots of sleep!

Best of luck, Charisse!
Love,
Becca

Hannah said...

**hugs** and more prayers for you guys. Hope little Isaac will heal quickly, and that momma will get some stress relief soon!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that must have been very scary. I was crying reading about it. Poor Isaac and poor you! I'll pray that everyting heals perfectly and Isaac will get back to normal soon. Love you guys! leah

Anonymous said...

Glad you're home!
Stopping by to let you know I'm here praying!
Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Know that the Lord is always with you whatever happens! Praying!
Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray!
1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Annie and Justin said...

HI Charisse! I am so glad to have found your blog, how are you? I saw you were on my blog and found you! I am sorry Isaac had his tonsils out but I hope it will help him in the end. Are you doing okay? We are haging in as you have seen on my posts. SEnding you good thoughts and prayers always! love Annie