Friday, April 24, 2009

Isaac Haemorraged but is Stable Now

Hi All,

what dramas! Isaac was discharged after a rough night of crying and being really distressed on Wed night. He did really well from the surgery but woke up at about 2 am very distressed and sore. I had gone home to rest but Alan was there. Because of FA, if I get too many crazy, late nights I sometimes get sick or ulcers and VERY exhausted! I needed to make sure that didn't happen. Alan tells me Isaac was quite distressed and all he wanted was his mummy. I felt bad when he told me but honoured all at once. I just needed rest but wanted to be there for him.

I arrived at the hospital at 10am the next day and Isaac's nanny was there watching him. He was totally exhausted and when I asked them to check his temp it was slightly high at 37.2 degrees C. He was sleepy and didn't want anything to eat or drink and he had struggled with his breakfast. Yet, they still said he could come home. I was a little worried to be honest but took him home. We had to carry him to the car. When we got home he slept and slept and slept. He was due pain relief so I woke him up but he couldn't get it down. He spat it all out and cried and was distressed. So I took his temperature and it had gone to 37.5 degrees C. From being a nurse, I knew I should call right then in case of infection. The doctors were impossible to get! The ENT's were going on leave the next day and I wanted to work this all out. Isaac refused anything via mouth and at one point I spent about 5 mins trying to rouse him with my knuckles on his chest, shouting his name loudly and he wouldn't wake up. I took his temp again and did his observations (typical nurse I know). His temp at risen to 38 degrees real quick and he was tachycardic. I was worried then. Since I was having trouble getting hold of the surgeon we opted to go for Isaac's paediatrician who he has had since being born premie. Bless his heart, he was in a C-section but rang my mobile immediately and told me to bring Isaac to outpatients at the hospital where I work which is closer.

So we took him there at the alloted time and the paed wanted to admit him for a short stay so they could see if he would drink 200 mls to 300 mls in 3 hours. If not, he had to be cannulated again and have a drip and be monitored overnight. They wanted to monitor his temperature and he had now gone 8.5 hours without pain relief or medication to get down his fever! I couldn't get it down him! I felt distressed! So the nurses did a great job and got it down with many tears and Isaac being really sleepy. Yay! His temp came down a couple of hours later. However, he was not doing well with the fluids and the sleepiness. He asked to go to the toilet though which was a good sign that he was not totally dehydrated.

So I took him to the toilet and while he was there, he used his bowels and I saw blood and then Isaac started making choking noises! I looked at him and there was fresh, bright red blood coming out both his nose and his mouth with huge clots! It was down his front, on the toilet and on the floor. I grabbed a paper towel to catch it so they can measure it. I had nothing else. Isaac was distressed and the blood just kept coming and coming! It was scary. I buzzed the nurse while reassuring Isaac, "it is ok. Just some blood. We will stop the blood. You will be ok" while thinking, "oh no, this is a huge amount of blood. I hope he doesn't bleed out". No one seemed to be coming but I could hear voices so I called out. Alan said, "hang on" and I said, "I need you to come here now!".....so he did and then the nurse and well.......then the doctors and nurses acted SO quickly! Isaac was put on the bed, ice on his neck to try and stop the bleeding, ice in his mouth to stop the bleeding........nurses and doctors putting in 2 IV's , one in each arm.....CBC's, group and hold, blood cultures, clotting times....you name it, they did it! Also an ambulance was called straight away to transfer him to our big women's and children's hospital in the city which is where I was diagnosed. The nurses and doctors were great. Explained everything to Isaac and managed to joke with him while giving him great care. I work at that hospital and they treated Alan and I wonderfully!

It was pretty emotional and scary. I was so worried and watching Isaac's face made me want to cry. He was scared and so pale and helpless looking with blood on his face and drips and so on.

We were put in an ambulance once Isaac was stabalised and went to the women's and childrens. Our private ENT met us there and when he looked at Isaac the active bleeding had stopped. They had told us that Isaac may need to go back in for surgery but by this stage they were happy it had stopped and that didn't look like the case anymore.

However, he was started on IV antibiotics and the cultures today confirmed an infection present. Bloods also revealed his clotting times were too slow and they wanted to investigate as to why. Isaac's pain was out of control so they gave him morphine type drug which bombed him out.

He is still in hospital and hopefully coming out tomorrow. He has started to eat a little and drink a little more but not enough to be removed from the drip overnight. He played a little in the play room this afternoon which was his first time out of bed properly. His temperature is now consistently down so the infection is being dealt with. He is still having the IV antibiotics. He is still having heavy pain relief and will be discharged with strong stuff to because we need him to continue to heal and eat and drink at home too.

So tomorrow morning, if he eats all his breakfast and drinks a cup of drink, he can go home. His clotting times came back normal today with his bloods and haematology want us to check that again in 2 weeks. If it is normal then, they will leave it and it was an anomaly. If it is not right again, he must come to haematology outpatients.

Isaac has been very brave and ......so have I ....hehe.

I must go to bed. Thank you for praying for Isaac.
Love Charisse

5 comments:

Katie W said...

What a scare!! Sometimes I think it would be good to be a nurse so you know what to do. Other times, I think it would be bad because you know what can happen. I'm so glad he's stable now. Hopefully it was just a freak thing and he'll be as good as new very soon.
Lots of love,
Katie

Judy said...

I am so sorry that you all had to go through such a scary thing as this. My stepson did that when his tonsils were removed. He didn't have the slow clotting, but the blood stuff he did have, and he was an hour away from the hospital that did his surgery. I know you were stressed about to the limit. It is one thing for it to be you, but your child, it is something else all together. I will be praying for a quick recovery, and everything to be okay from here on out. Hold on, God is with us all, all the time. Lean on him, and let him do his work. Love ya,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Whoops my comment was left on your other post love ya lots Rissy

Anonymous said...

The Lord knows everything that's going to happen in the future and is already working everything out. Praying!
Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
2 Samuel 22:2-3 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour...
Prayer BearsMy email address