Monday, January 28, 2008

one week post surgery! I'm Home!

Hello All,

good news. I came home today. Not so nice news...I am still in a lof of pain. Despite this pain I had had enough of the hospital. I wanted to manage my own pain relief at home without all the rules of the hospital...that doesn't mean that I take medication wrongly, it just means that I am adjusting my pain relief to different medication. The Women's and Children's Hospital does not prescribe the best med that helped me with C-section with Isaac and this same med is needed for helping with my pain relief but it was banned from the hospital....apparently too many people forming addictions. However, I have capadex for other procedures that are in in this hospital and I have them at home and the doctor mentioned I could take them once out of the hospital. I hope I don't end up back in hospital for problems with pain because I am unbelievably sore and it is really hard to move around. So I have started up a new pain regime and will see how that goes with relieving some pain.
I had had enough of the babies crying each night. I was on the gynae/antenatal ward and they needed to also use it as overflow for postnatal so there were lots of babies crying at night time and I became a little tired of that. I know the babies can't help it or the mothers but when you are in so much pain and you don't feel rested towards the end of your stay...it is time to go home and rest. However, at the beginning when I felt really awful with the pain and post surgery I knew I couldn't cope coming home and needed that break from my son...so it is weird how hospital is a relief at the beginning and then you get sick of it after a while...shows that you are ready to go home.
The cut looks great. The bruising is already fading. It looks less bruised than when I had my c-section with Isaac 5 years ago....same place and all. Amazing. I was amazed at how well my body handled the procedure. No bleeding out and no haemaglobin drop and platelets higher and stable all week!
Isaac is really glad to have me home. He was becoming teary with me in the hospital and said to me today, "when I wake up in the morning and check your bed, you will be lying there, sleeping! You will still be home!"....he had a great smile on his face.
He has a week until he starts school for the first time. I need to get the rest of his uniform from order. He is only a little guy and we had to order it. I really hope it all arrives in time. We also have to get his school shoes and hat. Hmmm...left it late you think? Hopefully Alan can take me out in the wheelchair to help look for shoes. I have no idea how much I can handle this week but at least Isaac will feel secure this week with me home and hopefully become excited about school. He still states that he doesn't want to go. I know he will enjoy it. I think he is nervous and he doesn't like the idea of leaving me at home but he will see that this is all normal for kids his age and this is what happens and mummy will be there to pick him up and talk to him about his day
I will be taking it easy this week even though there is school to organise. Alan will help with a lot of it.
I wanted to thank Ouma and Oupa, Nanna and Puppa and Danielle our dear Nanny to Isaac and friend to us for helping with Isaac this week while I was in hospital. It made it easier for Alan and I and I am sure it also made it easier on Isaac even though some days he was quite teary and just wanted to be with Alan and I.
Where from here...just recovering and the usual FA surveillance that I am due. Bone marrow biopsy/aspiration and MRI for head and neck cancer. With this surgery I also had all my gynae surveillance....hysteroscopy and pap smear.
Thanks for all your encouragement and messages.
Love Charisse

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahh Charissy, go girl.....rest enjoy your break (despite the pain)...enjoy your last few days with your little man....school wow I cannot believe it!!! It goes so quickly so treasure these last few days. From here on time really flies.
Fantastic to talk to you, I am embarrassed that I did not get to you first...but I seem to live my life embarrassed. Love you. God is sooooooo good. Love your old pal cath

Anonymous said...

So relieved that your surgery went so well. I hope your pain subsides soon. But you HAVE to take it easy for your body to heal quicker. Don't try to do too much even though you want so much to return to normal. Give it time. I'm glad you are home and get to rest in your own bed. I can just picture the smile on Isaac's face when he goes in your room in the morning and you're there. How adorable. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're home. Hope your recovery is a quick one!
These verses contain the reason why we have the hope of life to come. Know that I'm here praying so hard!
Ephesians 1:17-20 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

Anonymous said...

Hi my sweet!
It is great to see that you are doing so well. I thank God for your good recovery. I know that there is still more to go, but I am confident that it will continue, thanks to God. Well, if you ever can't sleep, at least that novel is a good cure!
lotsa love,
sis

Teresa said...

Glad you were able to come home. That is no good they didn't prescribe you the meds that you need in order to handle the pain. Yikes! It sounds like it wasn't the most relaxing situation being in the hospital and that is great that you are now home. I hope you are able to manage the pain and stay home. I bet Isaac just loves having you there! He's such a sweet little man. I hope he loves school - I'm sure he will. Good luck finding shoes and getting his uniform in time;-)

Love,
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Lifting up prayers for you and your family right now.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm still here praying!
Psalms 36:5-7 Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast. How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

Anonymous said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
Psalms 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

Anonymous said...

Praying!
Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

Anonymous said...

This passage is in honor of all those who've gone Home recently. Continuing to pray!
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm still here praying!
Revelation 21:1-4 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.