Saturday, January 5, 2008

Platelet Transufions/Surgery

Well, not long to go now and I have my surgery. It is only 14 days until this surgery. It is corrective surgery. I have been planning it for a long time and so many things have gotten in the way.
So Friday I had my haematologist appointment. My platelet count needs "back up" for this surgery. It is a big surgery. I can handle smaller procedures and every day life with my platelet count but I really need help with this surgery. They will be cutting me open and it is not a small incision. I have been told it will be a reasonable size. I have only ever had one platelet transfusion in my life that I am aware of and it was when I was 17 years old. I had a reaction to the drug, quinine, and it knocked out my whole CBC count and I went into acute kidney failure. When I was 17 the platelets held well and I only had to have one.....in that instance my platelet count dropped from about 150 000 to only 8000. I remember my eyes haemorrhaging...interesting....got side tracked.
So I went to my haematologist and had convinced myself that it is ok that I need to have the platelets because I am not good with medical intervention and I become freaked out and upset that I need it. I even delayed surgery a while back because I couldn't cope with the idea of needing some platelets but got over that....still feel weird but it is ok and I am excited about the surgery because it means a lot. I went into the appointment feeling positive and my doctor...who has not seen me for about 12 months and is always telling me he never gets my bloods starts to tell me about how some people don't respond to platelet transfusions at all...and I could be that person....blah, blah, blah...and if this happens then everything that you have planned for this year is down the toilet and blah, blah, blah and am I prepared for this. He then said...doesn't matter how well I responded to the one when I was 17 ...because platelet eating antibodies may have developed over time and you may not respond and can't have surgery or do any of this other stuff. He then told me there was no reason to wonder this with my bloods because nothing tells him this but be prepared! I felt like he crushed my spirit altogether. I sat there, quietly, my heart pounding, dread building up and feeling like I was going to throw up. Some doctors can give you all the scenarios...both good and bad and seem like they are not crushing your hopes and dreams and your spirit...some just seem to have the knack to crush you. My other doctor who I miss SO MUCH was very good with chatting to me. He would tell me the good and what we have planned and what to expect and then he would tell me the odds of anything bad happening and then he would add....."however, let's deal with that if it happens and just focus on what we have planned right now"...and I would feel good and have hope. He even told me he never wanted me to have my hope crushed because how would I ever survive a life with FA if I had no hope or dreams. He was really good. This other doctor...he seems to forget all about that and just focus on the bad stuff....and there is not really anything exciting about FA to focus on! Let's face it.....bone marrow failure, pre-leukaemia, the expectation of how long your life will be once you get to my stage....cancers...blah, blah, blah...when a doctor decides to sit down and really tell you or remind you about FA....it is quite devastating. I told this doctor that I am always taking risks ....otherwise I would live in a box with FA and never have a life! He said that is true.....so instead of just asuming that I would go badly with a platelet transfusion like I felt he was saying....I will have all the HLA matching and blood grouping and all of that done tomorrow...I will even test for antibodies against platelets and my clotting ability and on Friday I will have a trial of how effective a platelet transfusion is for me. We will check how far the platelets rose an hour after and 24 hours after. That way when I go for my surgery we will know the timing of stuff and feel more confident. I need to do this because I have not had a platelet transfusion since being 17 and have no idea how I will respond. After the platelets I will have my normal IVIG infusion...after the hour blood test. Apparently IVIG infusions can also increase your platelet count falsely....so we need to do the platelet stuff because I infuse that so we have an accurate number. Then I should know how well I go that day. I pray so much that my body responds well and doesn't do any of that stuff that the doctor describes! That all sounds frightening. Then on the 21st...which is a Monday I will hopefully go in during the morning and have the transfusion about an hour or so before the surgery and have the surgery. I will be recovering in hospital for at least a week....depending on how well I go...may be another one. However, I may recover really well!
So I hope it all goes to plan!
This is the excitment in our lives so far. I will keep you all updated and try and update you all during the surgery (well not literally while I am asleep).
Ok, thanks for checking in and all your support!
On a social chat ...yesterday Alan, isaac and I went to the beach. We were there from about 1pm to 5.30pm. It was hot yet so nice at the beach. We took 2 umbrellas and our deck chairs to sit on and covered ourselves with so much sunscreen. The water was BEAUTIFUL!!!! I didn't want to get out. Isaac has really grown up and enjoyed the water. It was a calm day. We were on the perfect beach with had the surf life savers right near us and we swam within the flags....it wasn't the main beach so not many people were there. It was perfect!
Well better be off!
Love Charisse

12 comments:

Judy said...

My dear friend, remember to trust in God and he will see you through it all. You are such an inspiration, and strong woman. I will be praying for things to go perfectly for you, both health wise and in your life in general. Take care my friend, and May God bless and keep you safe, happy, and healthy for many, many years to come.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope all goes well with everything you have to face!
Praying right now!
Psalms 121:1-8 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Anonymous said...

Remember that God has promised never to leave us nor forsake us.We nulify every negative comment,and stand together with you in prayer.God is able.Take care FLO

Anonymous said...

Charisse, just letting you know that I love you and will be praying for your surgery. I'm sure it will all go well and then you can focus on the future!
Leah

Anonymous said...

Hi love,
Don't fret over the platelets, we know that everything is going to be okay... some doctors do these things, which is annoying, but there's little that can be done about that some times.

The beach was great, wasn't it!?
It's been a great two week holiday from work--spending the quality time with you and Isaac. I have loved every minute of it.

Love Alan

Anonymous said...

I HOPE ALL WILL GO JUST FINE FOR YOU AND REMEMBER TRUST IN GOD AND HE WILL SEE YOU THROUGH IT. MY GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE.
GOD BLESS.
JUDY COKER

Anonymous said...

A friend sent me this passage today and I thought it was especially good. There's nothing more comforting in life than knowing the source of our salvation. Know that I'm still praying!
Romans 3:21-26 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Anonymous said...

This is a long section but the words are really special and comforting and special. Continuing to pray!
Psalms 86:1-7 Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily. Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

Anonymous said...

Am sharing two verses today. The second verse is God's own interpretation of the first verse. When dealing with all the "floods" and vehement winds beating upon us, there is only One Sure Foundation. Praying so as you face these "floods."
Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Psalms 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Anonymous said...

Charisse, I am continually praying for you, Isaac and
Alan in regards to surgery, as I know that a medical
issue that affects one family members often has an
affect on others as well. Take care, and I hope to
chat again soon.

Anonymous said...

Had this passage in my Bible reading this morning so had to share it. It's just so special, especially considering when it was written. Praying!
Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.