Monday, January 14, 2008

24 Hour Post Transfusion

Hi Guys,
well I had my count done 24 hours post and got the results today. I am disappointed that the platelets didn't stay up in the 100'000s for ever...hehe....but they came down to 69 000 which the haematologist is happy with...he said that my platelets responded just like they are supposed to and that with my counts that go up and down....these are not a problem. They were 88 before the transfusion and 109 after and then 24 hour post they were at 69...who knows if that is just my own count or part of the transfusion but I am told it doesn't matter...although I like it when my count is in the 80's or 90's when it is just me.....but this is ok for post. The doctor said that platelets can go higher with different transfusions and that platelets can be all over the place with how high they go up and how well they hold and how your body responds but they responded well and the other tests came back with NO antibodies so there should be no reason why I won't respond well on the day when they give me a transfusion an hour before surgery. I suppose platelets can vary so much from day to day. I have had 30 000 difference in platelets from one day to another before...sometimes it is weird like that and then most times it is pretty stable.
Alan actually spoke to the "gloomy" doctor today on the phone. I am sure he would be so happy that I call him that. He feels that we have minimised the risk of bleeding for the surgery but harped on about infection and it being the "luck" of the draw...that is what he said the other day to me. I was actually very pleased with my neuts this time around...they were at 1300 and I think that is good! I know, I know....not normal and risk of infection is a very real possibility but I have seen that my neuts can respond to infection so that is encouraging. The doctor just wants me to be very clear about all the risks but I am starting to feel overwhelmed. I have planned for this surgery and had to deal with risks for Isaac's C-section when I had him...I need to deal with the risks here and I UNDERSTAND!!!!! The more I focus on the risks the more anxious I feel....I am informed and I need this doctor to back off a bit and give me some space....because I want to be able to go into my surgery feeling a little positive about it....if I am totally freaked out and negative....how do you make it through major surgery......having FA is about informed risk all the time...sometimes you can't do anything about the risks but you decide that it is worth the risk and take it...some doctors will not understand and some will....this one also has difficulty with people not choosing transplant....some will choose it because it is appropriate and some will not because it is not appropriate....the risk to my life is the same if I not transplant now to if I transplant now....so what do you do? It is hard to always focus on the risks and stuff of the decisions you make because sometimes either road is not nice.

One week to surgery.......it will be good to have it off my mind. For 5 years I have put this thing off because of risks and being anxious.....for 5 years I have not been able to put it to the side and not worry about it......so I am going to go ahead.

I went to the Christian book shop today and bought 2 new books to read while recovering. I love reading.

I am also explaining more to Isaac about what mummy is getting fixed to prepare him so that he doesn't panic too much and I am trusting in God to get me through even though I feel nervous.

Isaac starts school in 3 weeks. My baby is growing up! Reception...can you believe it? Today we went to check out the school uniform because he is going to a private school. The pants are SO big! Too big to just "move the button" like I was thinking originally.....I think he will need pants made especially for him. He has such a little waist. I only have 3 weeks to get this all organised and Alan tells me not to worry ...it will be done.

Ok, so I have updated and am now going to go. Oh...on Thursday I have a pre-anaesthetic appointment and on Friday a final appointment with the haematologist...I sure hope he doesn't scare me only 2 days before the procedure...I don't know if I can sit in another appointment and talk about all the risks again!!!!!

OK, got to go!
Love Charisse

6 comments:

Judy said...

You stand firm my friend, and let Dr. Gloomy just be his odd self. God is with you, and like you said, you have weighed the risks and such and now you have made your decision, and just let God and the surgeons do their thing. My prayers are with you, may all your dreams come true!
God bless you all,
Judy

Anonymous said...

This verse is so comforting. Praying right now!
Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse
Praying for you all...how exciting this all is, will get Julie Moulds to pray too, She asked me how things were going. Keep pressing on.
Love you lots Cath

Anonymous said...

Checking in to see how things are going. Praying!
Psalms 62:1-2 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm here praying right now!
Psalms 18:1-3a I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised...

Anonymous said...

CHarisse, I'm glad ur doing well. I am fine here to. Nothing much else for me to say. So, I'll go.

Best of luck to you. Hope u recover quickly and that u won't b in 2 much pain.

Rebecca