Tuesday, January 22, 2008

30 Hours Post Surgery

I arrived at the hospital at 10:30am so that I could have my support platelet transfusion at 12pm sharp. Surgery was booked for 1:30pm, but the staff were so disorganised (even through my private surgeon had spent ages organising everything for them--with platelets available for a 12pm transfusion), the nurses still took forever to get the platelets down to the surgical suite... I had them 1 hour late, and not only that, when the nurse went to put them up she pierced the bag and platelets dribbled all over the wall, my arm, my chair and continue to trickle down the line.... I immediately started to panic!!! Worrying that I was loosing precious platelets on the floor rather than going into my veins!!
they taped the bag up with Opsite (sterile tape) and continued to run the rest into me. however, isaac who was watching with Alan from the side became somewhat distressed and wanted to leave as I was panicking and there was several nurses crowding around trying to stop the debacle.
I finally went to surgery at 2:30pm.... they decided to give a second bag of platelets while I was under just in case.
The surgery went very well, and I am in my room on the ward recovering. My surgeon saw me today, and she said the procedure was a complete success and I didn't bleed much at all.
I had somewhat of a rough day today, as I did not seem to get my pain under control very well. I had a patient-controlled analgesia machine (containing Morphine), but spent most of the day with a pain score of 8/10 (10 being the worse pain ever!!)..
I also had what felt like a completely incompetent nurse in the early shift today, who really irritated me. I had high anxiety for most of the day, as she seemed to push me into getting out of bed, and race me off to the shower all without giving my head a chance to stop spinning!! Furthermore, she came in to take bloods and didn't even allow me to prepare myself, which resulted in me getting distressed... THEN after giving up on the bloods, she was around the other side of the bed within the same breath to yank out my catheter!!! At that point, both Alan and I insisted she stop and give me a chance to prepare..... I braced myself and the job was done. Most people would know that I am a very private person and need time to prepare myself to allow people to do invasive procedures on me like this. To say the least, I felt traumatised by the time her shift was over, and cried.
My surgery scar is as impressive as my original C-section, which is about 15cm long and at the moment just hurts! I found out more interesting stuff about my insides which relates to FA but I'm not up to sharing that right now.
Tonight I am off the Patient Controlled Analgesia (Morphine pump) and now on sub-cup Morphine and strong oral medication for pain relief.
I have not bruised much so far and am stable. I don't know how long I will stay in hospital--possibly 1 week.
Thank you for checking up on me. I will write another update soon.
Love Charisse

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Glad that the surgery went well and that you are recovery well. Sorry that everything and everyone seemed to be a little daft! That is really frustrating about your nurse and how uncaring she was. I hope things get better and they learn how to be careful and caring.

Love,
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Thankful the surgery went well and you did well with the transfusions as well! Horrible that she pierced the bag though! Hang in there and work that soreness out! But do it at your own pace! Blessings and Bear Huggers!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had to deal with that nurse! She will never understand all you have had to endure in life, but as a nurse, she should be more delicate. I'm sorry she made you upset. I am happy things went well though and I hope you heal quickly. That is quite a big incision they made. Hang in there momma and know I'm praying for you.f

Judy said...

So glad your procedure went well, and that you are doing okay. I know how it is with nurses that don't listen, had one of those with John. But the Lord is with you, and so are a lot of people, in spirit at least, saying prayers on your behalf. Know I think of you and pray for a very speedy recovery.
Your friend always,
Judy

Anonymous said...

i am so glad that you are ok! what a debacle!! take time to rest and recover in hosiptal. i will talk to you soon. thinking of you lots.
love Brooke and Jasper

Anonymous said...

Surprised to see you posting so soon! So sorry you had such problems with that nurse!
The Lord never tires hearing from us. Praying right now!
Psalms 71:3 Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.

Anonymous said...

Charisse, I'm so glad the surgery went well even though there was the problem with the platelets bag. I hope you have a speedy recovery!! Be well.

Siouxsie said...

Hey, Charisse! We're so glad to hear that things seem to be going smoothly with the exception of the thoughtless nurse. We'll keep praying for your good recovery and success with this whole thing.
Love & wishes of health:
Siouxsie