Friday, September 21, 2007

Family Update

Hello All,
well the 19th September has come and gone. That was my original date for my gynae surgery I shared about a little while ago. I definitely would not have been up for that after the pnuemonia so soon. The new date was set for 15th October...however, I am not sure if I will be ready for that either. I am really doing well with my recovery but my marrow is still jumping all over the place...neuts up this week and platelets dropped a bit again.

However, liver results have come down...everything is just everywhere right now. I know one thing though - I am getting stronger each day and have put some weight back on. I lost 10 kilos in total but since the eating has picked up again a couple have come back on again which is good I suppose.

I had infusion (IVIG) this past Wednesday. It went well. I usually have it on a Friday but Isaac had his tooth restoration and tongue surgery today and I needed to be with him. I am SO tired. I have not done this much stuff since I was sick in hospital!

So today Isaac had his surgery and it went well. I had a hard time getting up this morning but mum came with Isaac and I. She drove the car. Isaac did so well. He was a bit rushed and upset when we arrived but after we went into the surgical waiting area in the theatre part he was ok when the nurse offered him a helium balloon. He started talking right away then and skipping around. So he skipped right into the theatre to the doctor and hopped up on my lap understanding that he was going to be given sleepy medicine before he had his tooth fixed. Even though we had talked about it with him, I think he was surprised with the little anaesthetic mask thing they used for the gas and he let them put it on while cradling in my arms but when he was not falling asleep straight away I saw panic in his eyes and he fought and that made me feel emotional and almost cry. He still had his balloon so I was asking him to look at me and look at the balloon and finally he relaxed and he went limp and I found that really emotional. I hate the smell of anaesthetic and operatiing rooms. I am so used to it from procedures with FA and biopsies...as soon as I walked in I tried not to react to the smell. However, after Isaac was falling asleep and was on the table I looked back at him and felt so strange. I found all of that really exhausting and felt like I was going to pass out! Mum and I went for some lunch and I almost did pass out. Once I had a rest on the couch and had some food we headed back to the day surgery and they called me to say Isaac was just out and did I want to come in. I did. He was crying a little when I came in and he had a jelco in one hand and some blood on him. I felt heaps emotional. They carried him out to a lounge that I sat on. Isaac became really aggitated and cried hysterically for about 50 mins. I could not stop him. It was heart breaking. I felt like crying too. He has a phobia about bandaides and of course he had the jeloc/IV access in and he was shaking that about and kicking and all sorts. He also was bothered by the name band on his leg and got so upset. Eventually I asked that they take the IV access out even though he had not eaten or drunk yet and cut the name band off. It was about 50 mins after that he calmed down and then we snuggled but I found that 50 mins of him being really upset rather exhausting and emotional. I wanted to break down and cry. I didn't want Isaac to see me cry.

Anyway, his tooth looks lovely. They cut his mild tongue tie too. He doesn't appear to remember the upset that he had. I think he gets really aggitated like I do after an anaesthetic. I know all children do but his was SO long. It really took time for them to understand that he is honestly freaked out by things like bandaides and anything stuck to his skin.

I am exhausted tonight and glad that it is all over. Now I need to catch up on some sleep and get some rest again because I am beat!

Alan is well. The changes with FA Australia are very exciting.

Ok, I will finish for now. Thanks for checking up on us!
Love Charisse

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse,
Bless his little heart. Isaac did so well today. It was a big thing for him. And you did soooo well too...the fact that you were even able to do it. Nothing like having mummy there. Praise God. Another hurdle over and accomplished very well.
Love you,
Mum

Anonymous said...

Isaac's super-tooth is very cute, i'm sure he'll be "munchin" on stuff with it before we know it...

It was so cute tonight as he'd walk around and as we'd talk to him he would try not to smile showing his teeth, but keep his lips closed revealing an embarassed smirk.. very cute indeed.

You did well today lovey with our traumatised little man, but he has certainly bounced back very well--rapidly returning to his usual hyperactive self jumping & climbing on things (to our horror!!)

Love you darling,
Alan

Anonymous said...

So glad that is over and all went well! Just take it a day at a time and you will regain your strength.

I LOVE your new webpage format. SO much easier to read and beautiful bird picture! Thanks!

--Kathy in Louisville, KY

Judy said...

Hello Charisse,
It is so good to hear from you. I have been thinking of you a lot lately and hoping for an update. I know it was tough, watching your little one in a panic isn't fun and very rough. My prayers are with you all for a more peaceful and healthy road ahead. Love ya heaps,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse,
I hope you feel better and your son to.
HUGS,
JUDY COKER

Anonymous said...

Glad it's over for Isaac.
Oh what comforting words! Praying right now.
Isaiah 41:13 For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Isaac had such a hard time after his procedure. I hope you feel better and recover soon and that your blood counts get better and aren't so scattered like you said they are.

I wish you well. I'm sorry your surgery was postponed. But, I'm sure that you will be ready for it in October. You should be excited to get it done. I know I would be. I do understand the nervousness that u mite have but that's understandable. Good luck with all that.

I love you Charisse. You are my best friend. I'm here for you if you need to talk or anything like that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse,
My heart went out to you when I read about Isaac.
I am glad he is ok, and that you are getting stronger every day.
I will email soon.
Love
Brooke

Teresa said...

Hi Charisse,

I already emailed you privately, but I wanted to say hi to you hear as well. It's exciting that Isaac's tooth is all better, but I'm so sorry to hear how badly he reacted to waking up and being groggy. It's so hard when they are like that.

I hope you are feeling better and that your counts will normalize.

Love you!
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Praying! The Lord still carries us today!
Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

Anonymous said...

Charisse my dear,its good to notice a sigh of relief after a hectic and tormenting period,we praise God for that.Every time that I pertition God about your case, I get this impression that God is creating a power house through you, He is depositing an anointing in you which will confront FA & bring miraculous healings even to those with chronic incurable diseases. You will be able to minister to those who have been maimed & tormented,because you have been through that & triumphed,now you carry that anointing.God is good, Who always make us to truimph in Christ Jesus our Lord.I cant wait to see the day!where you will be a channel of His power ,love & compassion!I cant help but praise GOD for your ministry,for your powerful testimony which will even impact on your Dads ministry.Exciting!May the Lord infuse you with His supernatural strength, that now as you recover you will move from strength to strength.Love you!FLO

Anonymous said...

The Lord heard Jonah's prayers from the belly of a fish. He hears the cries of all His people! Praying so right now!
Jonah 2:1-2 Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Anonymous said...

Our victory is in the Lord! Stopping by to let you know I'm still praying!
1 John 5:4-5 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?