Monday, April 28, 2008

bone marrow results

Hi People,
it has been about 4 weeks since my bone marrow biopsy/aspiration. I was not going to write about this issue but I need to. I got the results of my blast count from the smaller lab. The smaller lab tends to count my blast count higher than the transplant lab. FA bone marrow has different cells in its marrow. Some of these cells appear like blasts....so someone who is not experienced can accidently count these FA cells as being blast cells which are baby white blood cells. Baby white blood cells can become out of control and grow in numbers.....this is called leukaemia. I have had pre-leukaemic marrow for a long time. I have my marrows done privately because of anxiety.....so I can have an anaesthetic. If you have it publicly they don't put you asleep and my last episode of that was terrible...I was wide awake and kicking and very traumatised...so now I have it done privately so I can have a full anaesthetic. This private, small lab takes the slides first because it is private and then the transplant lab is sent the slides as well for the more experienced assessment.
Results of the past years show clearly how someone has miscounted my blast because they are not experienced with FA marrow........ 2006 blast count 14%, 2007 blast count 10% and this year came back at 13%. These are all uncomfortably high. A normal blast count is under 5%. However, in comparing this with the transplant lab.....a count of 14% was recorded in 2006 at the transplant lab was 6% and last year 7% as opposed to 10%. The general bone marrow results that have come back at the private lab have said "even though the blast count appears to have risen to 13% this year, the marrow has no significant change and is currently stable". This is good...and I know human error plays a huge part in counts.....like going from 14% to 10 and then to 13%.....same as the IMVS lab showing 6% and 7%....human error. The whole marrow needs to be considered to see if there is any change but it is good there is no significan change. However, I am still uncomfortable with 13% count and am eager to know what the transplant lab recorded.

My doctor has been SO difficult this year. I know a lot of people respect doctors but when someone is wrong.....we need to admit this. I feel manipulated and he is being extremely inappropriate. Firstly, he forgot I had a bone marrow biopsy so didn't order my slides to the transplant lab....understand that a blast count ONLY takes 2 to 3 days to count and now it is 4 weeks! I have been upset and anxious and cannot close the door on this years results yet. The haematologist allowed a "newer doctor" to do my counts.....who actually also works for the private lab....we found this out at the beginning of last week. I am not happy with anyone doing my counts from this private lab...and I wanted a second opinion from the transplant lab because this lady has probably NOT seen FA marrow before and this is crucial I have an experienced person look at my count as well as this small lab. So we challenged the doctor, nicely, in an email to have the senior doctors at the transplant lab do my count AGAIN...so that I have someone experienced also counting my count.......somewhere in this story there was confusion as the haematologist expressed that this "newer doctor" could not give me a count...and may be she didn't want to incriminate her smaller lab.......it is a MESS. All of this to just have a blast count given to me. The haematologist did not contact us all last week...so today we rang him because he promised us that this lady at IMVS transplant lab would be getting my slides to do my count ...she is experienced. He told us we could not ring her direct because it is inappropriate so we have been waiting for him to give us results. So we rang today and he TOLD ALAN OFF!!!! I couldn't believe it. He was really cross with us (what he said on the phone) because we "put down his collegue" in suggesting that she did not have the skill to count my blasts and he trusts her totally so we had no right to suggest we wanted another count because he trusts her. This is totally inappropriate....we all know how rare FA is and if a doctor has never seen marrow....well ...a complicated marrow...they are not experienced enough. We make life decisions on these counts and as patients...WE have TOTAL right to ask for the transplant lab to do the count....AND to want a second opinion. He had no right to be cross...and in the end...still didn't give us our results and insisted that this particular person will have the slides this week....there is a lot more I could say about all this but some people may take it as inappropriate. This doctor is being unethical and no one can tell me I can't have a second opinion. No one can tell me that I should be happy with the smaller, private labs answers because he trusts this doctor.....I should have the big lab doing my marrow.......I will not stand for this and I am very cross. They cannot hold back my count from me....but he insists on saying, "it looks similar to last year" but not actually telling me what my count is...this is wrong. So we went above him today and rang the lady who is supposed to have my counts.......apparantly she has not done my marrow for 2 years or so and my doctor is telling fibs....this either shows that he has not allowed me to call this doctor because he is lying or he has no clue as to who my slides go to...this is inappropriate.....totally unethical. He has not done right by me as a patient and I have spent 4 weeks thinking that my count is being done with the normal, big, experienced lab....only to find out all of this...and my doctor has REASSURED us that this lady has been doing my counts.......well he must have not bothered to check this detail and assumed..........SO this transplant lab doctor has now taken our phone number and is going to investigate for us and knows how important it all is and she mentioned that if our doctor is cross he will have to get over it...........
4 weeks of waiting and I am getting more and more anxious...it has been hard waiting for my results. I certainly hope the transplant lab counts my blasts as being lower than 13%. 13 % is not favourable......I am not planning to transplant but how scary if anything has progressed....it is encouraging that the general report says no significan change and being stable but until I get these results from the bigger lab...I cannot put it to rest in my mind.
I would not usually share this with people. I don't want people to think I am out to get doctors...however, I am not going to be manipulated by them because they think they are God. Having accurate results for FA is very important. This disease is really hard to deal with on good days and I don't appreciate it being so hard to get results and there is NOTHING wrong with requesting a second opinion or a bigger and more experienced lab to do my results.

This is what has been going on and I needed an outlet. I feel outraged. So please keep praying for my results...and don't let doctors push you around. It is not their life that they are dealing with...it is yours....we are their clients and we pay for their assistance and help....they are not meant to do any harm....emotionally or physically and I am very disappointed.

Thanks for reading and listening,
Love Charisse

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charisse, I agree that he is being totally inappropriate. I am praying that you get the answers soon, and I am praying that someone will tell this doctor to get over himself!! Take care, and know you can always email me if you need a friend to just listen to you and pray. Hugs, jennifer

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, I am so sorry about all of your frustration, and the problems with your doctor. I feel you are right and that your doctor really should be treating you a lot better. I pray that things get worked out soon, and that the blast count results you get will be good results. I pray God will wrap his loving arms around you and comfort you and help you feel at ease in these stressful times. Know I am thinking of you and praying for you always.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse, Good luck on your results i hope you get what you are after. I will be seeing you soon and congratulations on the move of house i hope it is all going well and that you will settle in soon.
Jordan

Anonymous said...

Dearest Charissy,
My prayers are always with you, may God give you grace and wisdom with the Doctors. I understand your frustration...especially based on past experience. I guess the authority thing is being challenged again (just like Childbirth, Home Education etc) The professionals always "know better", and in some cases they do but.....your body your right.....hmmm a difficult tightrope to balance on. I guess you need to be like Jesus as gentle as a dove but wise also....
Sometimes it is hard especially when you are paying for the service!!!!
But God is with you girl, Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world....What a relief.
Let the peace of God rule in your heart Charissy......Phillipians 4:4 read it my love.
Sorry I have been remiss in writing, we have been in Wallaroo again, but I came home tireder than I left...oh well.
School has started and i have my inspection from Ed Dept soon...sigh.
Love you always your old pal Cathy

Unknown said...

Charisse,

You should not feel badly at all about speaking your mind about this terrible situation. Doctors are not to be held up on pedestals any more than anyone else. There are some I would put there--because they completely earned my respect, but not ever because they had the title of Doctor. Everything you wrote is right on about your needs as a patient and the respect that you and all patients deserve. I'm so dismayed by what you have endured this month. I really hope this supervisor is of assistance and straightens this other doctor out. His behaviour is completely inappropriate at every step of the way. Thank goodness you are such a strong advocate for your own healthcare. You go girl! (an americanism, to be sure).

Anonymous said...

Still praying!
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm here praying.
Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Anonymous said...

I'm here, and doing okay. Chugging along. I have been following you and keeping up to date. You have been in my prayers, I just haven't written. I am so very truly sorry about your totally insensitive and inappropiate doctor. I wish you could find someone with sensitivity and tact. Most doctors should not be held at a higher standard just because they are doctors unless they've earned respect. They are just human like the rest of us, and they still survive on guesses, even if they may be be more educated guesses. They are not void from making mistakes or saying the wrong thing. I hope you find resolve in this, it burns me when people just don't understand that you have enough to deal with, that you shouldn't be made to feel like you are inconveniencing to them, that what you deal with is real and it's scary, and that you need support, not a condescending attitude. Hugs momma and hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Continuing so to lift up prayers!
Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Anonymous said...

Continuing so to lift up prayers!
Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Anonymous said...

May the Lord give you rest! Praying!
Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Anonymous said...

Still continuing to pray!
Isaiah 49:13-16a Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands...