Friday, December 14, 2007

Medical Update

Hi All!
Ok, had my infusion (IVIG) yesterday and it went better than last time. I insisted on the nurses using the vein that I pointed out and running the infusion at the lower rate that I preferred. I even checked the pump and was going to change it if they didn't listen to me! However, the doctor and everyone listened to me today and it was relief. I was so nervous about going. There have been some VERY grumpy nurses. There are specifically two nurses who are in their 40's and 50's who are grumps and I actually get nervous going to infusion because they make me feel uncomfortable! One turned to me very seriously and said, "we like it when people complement us but when they tell us we are doing wrong we become offended". I was shocked because I feel like they always get cross when I am not happy with the care and then I become scared to ask for something or when I feel sick from infusion. So Thursday night at prayer meeting I asked for us to pray for a nurse to be there who was nice. I know the names of the ones who are nice too. When I went yesterday that specific nurse was there and I have not seen her for ages. She told me that she was not rostered on for today but got called in! What an answer to prayer!...hehe....it really was...she did my jelco and was so nice and happy and set my rate and made the day a lot more comfortable...praise the Lord. That little answer to prayer really helped me endure the IVIG a lot better. The doctor increased my pre-meds which I think helped.
Although last night when I got home I felt much better, as the night went on I became anxious and over the Christmas shopping and all! I don't remember much from last night but Alan was telling me more about it. I really wasn't myself last night and the infusion does that to me. I have been so normal the last 2 weeks...it is odd when you suddenly change. I was uncomfortable and aggitated and weird...was definitely infusion and then when I woke this morning my muscles were all twitching and shaking and I woke up with a really sore, reasonable lump under my left arm which makes me feel nauseated when I touch it! It is quite big and was not there before infusion yesterday. So I am guessing it is an immune response to the IVIG infusion and is my lymph node that has come up really hard and sore. The IVIG is human antibodies so technically every 4 weeks I am receiving a foreign antibody and immunity so my body has an immune response (just like babies when they have their immunisations) and it responds with headaches or flu symptoms, confusion and aggitation, muscle spasms and shaking and of course, the lymph nodes coming up. I will go to my GP this week to check that it is just the lymph nodes...as I said it was not there yesterday and only this morning....must be related to an immune response from infusion. So I feel all weak today when yesterday I woke up feeling so strong before infusion....infusion really does affect me strangely for a week...the immune response to it...and then after a week, the infusion strengthens my whole immunity so I can live without many more infections for the whole month! It is so strange how things work.

My big gynae surgery has now been re-booked. It is gonna be on the 21st January...only about 5 weeks away. Pre-anaesthetic on the 17th! An appointment with my haematologist in regards to any bloods that may be needed on the 4th of January. It is a private operation so I won't go into any detail but i am excited and scared all in one. I will have a rather big abdominal incision. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to recover but I am anxious to have this surgery out the way. It is two weeks before Isaac starts big boy school. We thought it was wise to do that because if Isaac starts school and I suddenly have surgery he is likely to worry about me while he is at school and want to be home. So if I have it in the last 2 weeks of his holidays he can be involved and know I am not sick, just having surgery and can spend as much time visiting me as he would like, feeling reassured. The pneumonia bout 5 months ago really scared him. I should be home recovering by the time he starts his new school and reception...and I can try and support him more rather than being in hospital. SO that is big news.

Did I say Isaac got his "preschool diploma" last week. He graduated from preschool....so cute. He cried afterwards and said he was sad because he wants to stay at preschool and not go to school. He is now on 7 weeks holiday before he starts school.

Well, I have almost finished my Christmas shopping and will be glad when I am done. It has been overwhelming at the shops! BUT, I must admit...really fun.

We went swimming with my neice again this past Tuesday. Isaac always enjoys that.

Ok, I am a little tired from the computer and need to finish looking decent before Isaac is up from his afternoon sleep!
Thanks for checking up on us....
Love Charisse

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still praying!
Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the infusion went so well, and I will
continue to pray about the surgery in January. Love
you heaps. Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse!
I'm glad your infusion went well. God certainly answered your prayer! That was fantastic! Have a great Christmas!
Love Leah (& Stephen & Daniel)

Anonymous said...

Letting you know that I'm continuing to pray!
Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

LeAnn said...

Hi Charisse,
Glad to hear that your infusion went good and that you were not nervous. God is always there and some don't even know. Thinking and Praying for you. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.
God Bless...
Prayers and Hugs,
LeAnn/SOEW/AngelsofHope
http://www.caringbridge.org/ga/annettelee

Anonymous said...

I really thank God for no severe reaction from the infusion.Have a good rest and enjoy the festive season.Be strong for the surery,I'll continue to pray for u.Love you. Flo

Anonymous said...

I was surprised this morning to see a hymn added at the end of the service when we normally have silent prayer. I was distressed to see that it was "Abide With Me" because it's been many years since I've been able to sing that hymn without crying. Today was no exception. I want to share the verse that the hymn is based on as I continue to pray.
Luke 24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm praying!
Isaiah 30:19b ...thou shalt weep no more: he will be very gracious unto thee at the voice of thy cry; when he shall hear it, he will answer thee.

Anonymous said...

Letting you know that I'm praying!
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Anonymous said...

No matter what the future holds, the Lord knows the "whys"...praying!
Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

hey lovey, glad to see that you finally managed to boss those nurses around into submission!!! good to see a good week.... happy anniversary for the 19th by the way.... 9 years eh!!?? wow, we're doing pretty good if you ask me!

I love you, sweet-heart!

Your husband, Alan

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm praying!
Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isaiah 35:10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.