Saturday, July 21, 2007

Soldering On!

Well, Isaac is still unwell. He still has croup. He is doing better at night time but he still has the real, horrible, barking cough and a blocked nose and generally is feeling very yucky. He told me that he has a sore chest today. I am amazed at the words he uses to explain things. I think he knows about medical stuff because his mummy has so much to do with the medical world...being a patient and a nurse! So every night he has had the vaporiser on to help with his cough and breathing. I also took him back to the doctor on Friday and the doctor has given him another 3 day course of prednisolone to help with the inflammation of the airways (which is what croup is). I am amazed at how little time it takes to affect the appitite. I remember being on huge doses of prednisolone when I was first diagnosed with FA...and oxymethalone...but I used to eat like a horse. Isaac is doing that but at least it is only 3 day courses...not like what our FA kids and adults go through if they are on it...and the transplant kids and adults. So he has only another day of prednisolone and hopefully he will show good improvement. It has been preschool holidays here and preschool starts on Monday but unless he has REALLT improved he may be home for the first week of kindy. Isaac and Alan are staying home from church tomorrow. It is just too cold for him at church or any morning right now. It has been a cold winter! Since I have infusion on Friday this next week I won't be able to get to church the following Sunday and I didn't want to miss 2 weeks in a row. I start to feel isolated then. So I will go to church on my own.

I have caught a minor cold. I am not surprised since Isaac has been coughing all over me. He is learning very well to cover his mouth but at night when he has the coughing fits he doesn't think about that and I get it all directly on me! I suppose it builds my immunity...hehe....I am surprised I don't get really unwell with bugs! Then again, I work in a hospital from time to time and have regular contact with different bugs...my immunity would be used to certain things even though it is lower than other people.

I have a sore toe! Can you believe it?! I have been sitting in a chair in the shower while I have been having the headaches so I don't have to stand and feel weird and I went to sit on the chair and slipped!!! Ahhhh....stubbed my left foot good and proper. The nail is bruised and I had to cut the broken stuff off...and one of my smaller toes bled. It was SO sore. I was saying, "ouch, ouch"...and I forgot to lock the bathroom so both Alan and Isaac come running in to see what happened.....hehe...Alan says, "what would you like me to do"...in a concerned voice...I said, while cringing, "nothing......it is just so sore"...or something to that effect...hehe....I seem to just be so clumsy sometimes.

Mum and dad got given a holiday!!!! At a resort in Victoria. I don't know the name of it but they invited Alan, Isaac and I to come with them. I am so excited. I hope we are all feeling well then...it is the 31st August...for a week. There is a heated pool and spa there. You can play mini golf...I love playing that even though I don't get to too often. You can go conoeing...did I update about this...can't remember. There is a children's games room and play room/playground. There is heaps of stuff. And....the resort is only 2 hours drive from the snow! Alan has never seen snow. I have seen snow in Chigaco in America at Christmas time and there is snow in Victoria in Australia but not near us...so we would love to go to the snow and go up a lift and do that on a day that I am feeling good!

Mum and dad have been sick too...and Liesl and Tim (sister and brother-in-law)...as well as Eliana, my niece. So many people sick here this winter...we are all being knocked around with it.

Matilda, our cat, has a sore eye...don't know why I am telling you that but she is part of the family and is joining in with everyone having some issues.

We had a great time with our friend/nanny last week. She came over to have a movie night with us on Wednesday...had dinner with us and slept over...then she works Thursday here as Isaac's nanny. Isaac thought it was great that she was sleeping over.

Oh, yes, to update on Isaac's tooth. He did so well at the dentist on Thursday afternoon. He had a ride in the dentist chair and sat so nicely for the dentist. Dr John said that the tooth looks like it is dying and that the blood vessels around had burst but with a baby tooth the nerve can often be protected down the bottom of the tooth (not the gum part) and so it can sometimes recover and go white. He said there is no way to tell if it will completely die or recover and that it would be a 6 to 12 month wait to see what it does. Alan and I chatted and felt like we were to wait and see and not get Isaac to have anything done...we will wait. I have to keep telling myself that it will be alright either way...and if it gets worse and there is a problem..we will deal with it then but right now I need to be patient and wait..and hang in there for Isaac...it is great to have hope that it may recover...but I still cannot completely count on that.

As a Christian I know that we have to trust God with the smaller things as well as big things...so not just the FA I have....but about Isaac's tooth which is a smaller issue than FA...but as a mum...it feels heaps hard...but I am trying and asking God to help me.

Ok, well I am going to sit down with Alan now. Thank you to everyone who leaves messages...I really appreciate it. I read them and smile and feel loved and it takes any lonliness away. So it is much appreciated.

I will update again soon.
Love Charisse

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As sad as it is to watch a little one feeling ill with even a minor sickness, there is such a precious moment when that little one reaches to you for love and attention and you realise that he (or she) is 100% dependent on you to make them feel well again--to reassure them and comfort them!!

It dawns on you, the responsibility and sacrifice you have and make as a parent to ensure his survival.

I love my son with all my heart, as I do my wife.

I love you Charisse.

Your husband,
Alan xx

Anonymous said...

Only the Lord can give true strength to face whatever today may bring. And all we really have is today. Continuing to pray!!!!!!!!!
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I know how hard it is as a mom to "relax" and let God worry about it. I will be praying for you all. Sorry you hurt your foot, I know that had to hurt. And bless your husband, he seems so sweet and attentive. You are a blessed woman to have such a wonderful family. Know I love you and are praying for you all,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse. I've been doing pretty well this week.
I will pray that the IVIG infusion does not cause you
any headaches this time, and that Isaac's croup is
gone soon. I love you heaps, and remember I am here
if you ever need to talk. Hugs, Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Psalms 38:21-22 Forsake me not, O LORD: O my God, be not far from me. Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

Anonymous said...

Know that I care and am continuing to pray!
Psalms 29:11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to see how things are going and to let you know I'm praying!
Psalms 9:10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse!
Sorry that I haven't signed in so long! Just haven't been well. Hope your cold gets better soon!

With Love,
Joanne and the Dream Team
~Simply Joanne~
~Bridge of Dreams~
~Prayer Bears~
OWC, SOEW

Anonymous said...

Hello Charisse,
My name is Rafael and I'm Venus' father. I hadn't written before because my english is not that good. I want you to know that you are a living hero and I admire you a lot for your strength, courage and the great heart that you have. Thanks for the message you left on my daughtr webpage. I pray for you and all those soldiers that fight against Fanconi Anemia. May God bless you, your husband and your son.

Rafael J. Diaz

Anonymous said...

What comforting words from the Redeemer! Praying!
Psalms 34:22 The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

Anonymous said...

The Lord hears and answers according to His Will. Know that I'm here praying!!!!!!!!!
Psalms 22:24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.