Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Counts

Hello All,
I hope you like my new background. Yep, I know, I know....the words are a little harder to read with this background...but I love the background and want to keep it for a while. Also, I chose it so that your eye muscles get a good work out....hehe...haha.....hehe. Sorry.....

I had my counts repeated on Wed last week and to my relief my platelet count has come up to my average. I practically hugged my doctor when I was told and felt SO relieved. I can tell you having it drop so low was scary and I hope it doesn't do that again.

As for my neuts (ANC), they are still low but climbing up again. On Wed they had gone up from 200 to 350 and I am usually over 500. So really I fluctuate between 500 and 1500. Normal is about 2000. Labs can differ with that normal. It was good to see the count climbing again and I will be much relieved when it is up again. They are not high enough to have a port inserted yet though.

As for the port, I am not sure I am going to have that done now. My haematologist was not too keen on it since the idea was presented. A bit of history. The nurses at the cancer center constantly hassel me about a port. I have difficult veins and the last year have had very sore veins. They get upset and don't want to prick me but also feel bad if they have numerous goes which is understandable. However, I have not ever felt comfortable about a port.

I have lowish neutrophils (fight infection). Often I hear of people with FA or bone marrow failure having neuopgen injections to increase their neutrophils. However, research has shown that these injections can increase the risk of leukaemia in an FA person's marrow. In fact, it can cause this. Because my marrow is pre-leukaemic we avoid this drug because it would cause me trouble and I don't want my marrow to go into full leukaemia. However, that means that I just plod on with neuts that are lowish. Now, in general life....for me this isn't a problem. I seem to have neuts and platelets that work heaps better than their level. I am still careful but I am in no way suffering majorly from infections and stuff. My problem was the immunoglobulins that I have the infusion for. However, with having a port that is not a part of you.....it is foreign to the body and allowing access to the blood....having low neuts is not really a good thing because low grade infections can start and stay in your body. You then need to be hospitalised for IV antibiotics and sometimes even have more ops to replace ports. I am not having a transplant so I am not in hospital correcting my marrow........I can understand why my haem was worried and I have been worried too. This port could cause more problems and strain on my marrow than it could be good for me. So what is my solution if my veins are so bad! I have to trust God and see what happens. I am not comfortable having a port with this type of risk! I don't want to be sick and I certainly don't want my marrow thrown around or upset from bad infections because of a port. So far, I am going really well and am very well! Does any of this make sense? It is so hard to explain on email or computer. There are other reasons as to why I don't want a port as well.....but with my haem so uncertain and me feeling uncertain, I believe that God put a stop to the operation so I could think more about this. I will see my haem in 2 weeks and have another big discussion with him. God has always provided me with solutions when I have been in a difficult spot!

However, my counts were fine for my gynae procedures under anaesthetic. I had a pap smear and a hysteroscopy. I get results in a week or two.

ok, it is 44 degrees C here today (111 degrees F). I have a doctor's appointment to get to. Please keep praying. FA is a constant battle with counts and all sorts! Thank you for your prayers and support. It is greatly appreciated as I do get very worried and stressed. However, I must stress that God is amazing and He continues to encourage me through every worry and burden and He works wonders with my health!
Love Charisse

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the counts are back up again!
Know that I'm always here praying!
Psalms 32:6-7 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

Lol. I don't mean to laugh, but I wanted to say you failed miserably on geiving my eyees a workout. I found that amusing. The screen reader doesn't have any problems with the new background, either. Just wanted to drop a quick note to say hi and let you know I'm praying. It's very cold here; about twenty degrees F and we had sleet tonight. Love you heaps and miss our chats. Jennifer

Momma Bear said...

Charisse,

You could make your text bigger and bold, don't know if it would work or not but worth a try! Glad your counts are back up! Have you thought of a PICC line? Nicholas has had one for 1.5 years now! I actually like them better than a port.

Rem......Wait upon the Lord!
Blessings and Bear Hugs,

Hannah said...

Glad the counts are back up for you!

And I love your new look. Had no trouble reading it. :)

Katie W said...

I'm glad your counts are doing better. I can see what you mean about the port. Do the pros outweigh the cons or is it the other way around? Such a tough decision, but you do what YOU feel is best for you! I love your new background. Oh, and are you trying to make me jealous? Here you are sitting in your nice HOT weather, while I'm sitting here with it snowing outside.
Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

44 deg C or 111 F isn't NICE hot weather, Katie, lol.

It's train-track (for real) warping, bushfire causing, electricity shut-down / failure (due to so much power being used to cool homes, sun-stroke victim HOT.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to let you know I'm still here praying!
Psalms 27:7-9 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

Always here praying!
Romans 5:1-2 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Prayer Bears
My email address