Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tribute to Shannon

Hello All,
well the 1st of September was my brother's birthday. If he were still alive he would have been 28 years old! Happy Birthday Shannon! I will always love you and remember you.

Shannon also had Fanconi Anaemia and he had a bone marrow transplant when he was 14, in 1994. Unfortunately, due to a medical error, Shannon died one month after his transplant. I was only 16 at the time. We were very close. Shannon was a remarkable boy. He was always very happy and had a great sense of humor. He always seemed to have a smile on his face even through the worst parts of the transplant and treatment. Of course, he sometimes didn't have a smile when he felt really unwell.......but the smile is what I remember about him. He was very gentle in spirit.

So yesterday we had a family dinner and just remembered him. Alan and I went to Shannon's grave and put some flowers on. Below is a picture of Shannon and his gravestone at the cemetary. It is a beautiful flower garden. Of course, due to winter the flowers are not all out yet but when spring kicks in and summer....it is beautiful. I have put some photos up of our visit to the cemetary.









Just for some fun and so you can see how much my boy, Isaac, has grown - I took some pictures. I think the following pictures show SO much of his beautiful personality. He will be 6 years old on November the 8th! I also thinks he looks SO grown up now. Check out how much of a rascal he can be!














Then he can also be SO SWEET!!!!!







Hehe.....this is a weird photo but SO cute!








SO SWEET!!!!!!










Rascal!!!!!!






Gorgeous!




Well I think I was going for infusion last time I wrote. Infusion went well but I had a horrible reaction with terrible headaches for a week. I am still getting slight headaches but can at least go out and do stuff again. On the 10th is my head and neck MRI for follow up of the head cancer. Alan's birthday is this Friday. He will be 31 years old!
I am going to go and relax! I will update again soon.
Love Charisse

17 comments:

Siouxsie said...

That was a lovely tribute to your brother. It's wonderful that you have such loving memories of him. I like the idea of the family dinner to have a chance to remember him as a family.
I love your pictures of your silly boy. Those are great!
Hope you continue to recover from the aftereffects of your transfusion!
Love from Texas!

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute lovey, although Shannon had passed away prior to my knowing you and your family, I always feel like I have come to know him through the many stories you've shared about him.

It's nice for Isaac to also know of his "Uncle Shannon", and to have the privilege to play with some of shannon's old toys knowing who they belonged to.

We have a lovely son there, very prescious.

love you,
Alan
xx

Lynn said...

Saying extra prayers as you deal with this difficult day!
So many are in need of peace these days. Praying right now!
Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
Prayer Bears

Rebecca Rose said...

Thanks for saying hello, Charisse! I've heard about you from Teresa and have noticed your comments on her blog. It's nice to hear from you.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother! That's great that you were able to be so close and that you have such fond memories of him.

Ha! I love the pictures of your son. He looks like he's very entertaining. What a silly boy!!

Teresa said...

Yeah, I'm such a great friend. Two of my sisters respond before I do. :-) Your entry made me teary eyed reading about your brother and seeing his gravesite. It looks beautiful. He looked so much like you! Hugs to you...

Isaac certainly looks grown up! Wow! He was just a little toddler when we saw him when you guys came to visit. He's such a sweet boy! Loved the photos:-)

Love,
Teresa

Lynn said...

Know that I'm here praying!
Psalms 86:12-13 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
Prayer Bears

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for your nice comment on my blog. It is very humbling for you to say that, as from reading your blog you have been through quite a ride in life and have led a much more inspiring life than I do/have. I look forward to reading about you and your beautiful family in the future and having a friend "down under", I've always wanted to visit there! You will be in my prayers!

Lynn said...

Praying right now!
Psalms 86:14-15 O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them. But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.
Prayer Bears

Jon said...

Hi Charisse-
Yes, I know Teresa and Leslie--they moved just around the corner from me when we were in high school. I remember Becca, but didn't know her as well and have never met Siouxsie. Do you know them because of the FA then? What trials you have to go through with that!

That was a nice tribute to your brother. I'm sure it was hard to lose him when you were so close to one another.

Your son looks like quite the character. :)

It's nice to "meet" you as well and I'll be sure to check your blog again.

~Katie

Jon said...

I forgot to tell you--my husband had a deviated septum (nose airways) that they said almost looked malformed. He had surgery to correct that a week ago and is finally up and at it again! Thanks for asking.
~Katie

Lynn said...

Know that I care so very much and am still praying!
Psalms 73:24-26 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
Prayer Bears

Judy said...

Your tribute to your brother was so touching. I can tell just how much you love your brother. The pictures are great too. Hope you are well, and healthy. Love you my friend,

Anonymous said...

These words have always comforted me. Praying.
Psalms 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm here praying right now.
Psalms 91:1-2 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray so hard!
Psalms 91:3-4 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

Remembering the families of all who lost their lives 7 years ago.
Praying right now!
Psalms 91:14-15 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
Prayer Bears

Lynn said...

Still praying in Seattle!
Psalms 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.
Prayer Bears