Friday, June 20, 2008

What's been happening?

Hello People,

well it has been a good week. I did lap swimming on Tuesday, worked on Wednesday on the gastroenterology day surgery ward, prepared for a nursing talk on Thursday and looked after Isaac who was home from school sick - on Friday.

Work was excellent this week. The unit has gotten so big. This is the first time I have worked in the updated unit. It has two procedure rooms and a recovery and lots of other things. There are 11 staff members whereas when I worked permanently in gastro, there were only about 4 staff members and one procedure room and one, small recovery. I had a great time.

On Tuesday this next week I am doing a small talk about being a nurse at a primary school for the receptions and year 1's. They are aged 5 and 6. I will be talking about what I do as a nurse and doing activities with them. I have colouring in activities and have my BP machine and stethoscope and dressing packs/bandages and thermometers and oxygen masks and all sorts to show them. It should be fun.

My health is going really well. I have had quite a lot of energy lately and am taking full advantage of that. With FA you just never know when sickness or exhaustion or anxiety will stop you from doing things that you want to do.

It is great to be able to swim laps once a week. It makes me feel so good. I have also been reading some great books and have started up with my knitting again.

There are other exciting things going on that are keeping me busy as well.

Mum and dad are now in South Africa on a holiday and missions trip. I will miss them. Mum will be gone for 6 weeks, and dad for 7 weeks.

Our microwave blew up! Ahhhh...so annoying. I put my beanie bag in there and was heating it and it started making a horrible noise and then the strong smell of smoke and fumes....the engine burnt up I suppose.

Everything always seems to happen at once. My car has broken down! We don't know if we will need to get another car or if this can be fixed...or how expensive it is to fix. They tell us it is in the engine....so we will look into that this week. I am not allowed to drive it though. That is a pain.

We have new curtains that have been ordered for our main bedroom. They are mocca coloured and the room will look really royal. My bed spread is a mixture of gold and rusty colours. We also have invested in some beautiful paintings.....one of them will go in this room as well, adding royalty to the room. I am excited!

We had the Moulds coming for dinner tonight. They have 6 girls......wonderful family.

I am desperately trying to think of what else to update you on. This week on Friday is my IVIG again......already! Unbelievable!

Life is good.

Please continue to pray for Alicia and her transplant. Yesterday she recieved her new bone marrow cells . Now is a critical time as she has no immunity and they need to wait for the new cells to grow. The next 3 weeks are a waiting game. Alicia is 5 years old and we met her at Camp Sunshine for FA kids and adults when we were there 3 years ago.

If you wish to see her journal and updates on her ....the address is:

http://www.caringbridge.org/ks/aliciareed/

Well, that seems like it for now! I hope I have more exciting things to update on you soon.
Love Charisse

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charisse -- you sound SO GOOD!!! So positive and enjoying your higher energy level. I loved looking at your birthday pictures. And the zoo pictures are awesome! Such fun! Glad all is well.

Love, Kathy in Louisville, KY (from Prayerbears)

Teresa said...

That's so great that you've been able to swim! I bet you have been loving working and the possiblity of working with the little kids sounds like so much fun too.

Sorry your microwaved blew up and your car died! I hope you can get it all fixed.

Your room decorations sound beautiful! Post pictures!

Love,
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Praying!
John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!
Continuing to pray in Seattle!
2 Corinthians 4:15-18 For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, it is so good to read your post and know things are well with you. I am so proud of all your activities of late, and pray that good health and happiness are abundant in your life for many years to come. Take care my friend, and enjoy the good times!
Judy

Anonymous said...

Still praying hard at this end!
Psalms 88:9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.

Anonymous said...

Know that I care so much and continue to pray!
Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

Anonymous said...

Praying hard at this end!
Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to let you know I'm here praying!
Psalms 31:1-3 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.