Friday, June 27, 2008

Trying to Maintain Dignity???? Did it work????

The Dreaded Stairs!!!!!! They are actually steeper than they appear in the picture! Read below for what happened.
Hello People,


Well we had a slight drama at our house last night. I was ready to hop into bed at 1130pm at night and heard a grunt and then a loud clunk at the front door. Came out of the bathroom calling to Alan, my husband, if everything was all right. Only to find him hobbling around groaning and half crying and giggling all in one. He announced that he had tumbled down our front, garden steps, head over heels, literally. It wasn't very funny but once you hear the circumstances around the fall....it is funny. Anyway, Alan's body went into shock quite quickly and he was shivering and shaking and his face went So white and his hands and feet lost all their colour and went really white. When someone is in shock all the blood supply is sucked and re-diverted to the major and important organs in the body to keep them going. So everywhere else you lose colour. He had major grazes! I had to help him lie down with his feet up on the couch because he had lost so much colour and was kind of hyperventilating as well. I wrapped a blanket around him...lay it on top..to try and help the shock and then went about cleaning his grazes that had blood and skin pulled off. Our steps are rock and kind of a slate finish....and he also took out 2 garden lights as he tumbled down. He hit his head a little but, thankfully, not too much. So I went about cleaning them with antiseptic. It took about 30 mins for the shock to go and him to feel a little better but he was still pale and very sore. He is tied and quite sore and uncomfortable tonight. We don't think he broke anything....Praise the Lord! I should take a picture of his graze on his leg. It is big.


The reason why this all happened is that he was taking the bin out the front at 1130pm at night for it to be emptied early the next morning when the garbage truck came around. He went out in only his undies....hehe and a top. Yep, Alan said I could share this....hehe. Because he was only going out in his undies, he turned off all the lights to the garden outside so no one could see him....darkness...then at the top an ambulance arrived for our neighbours and he got distracted with some concern and being nosey. He attempted to walk down the steps while looking over his shoulder and lost his footing. Honestly, I was calm at first to help him but the reason why he fell and the fact that he was only in his undies was hilarious and I could not stop giggling. I am very glad he is ok though. So because he wanted to maintain his dignity, it led to him falling down the stairs...I don't think he maintained his dignity very well, do you??????
Isaac is forever running up and down these stairs and I have no been able to tell him, "look at what happened to daddy. You need to be careful on the stairs or this could happen to you too!" Isaac cringed when looking at daddy's war wounds!
Anyway, some other stuff. I ended up getting really sick this week. On Sunday I knew I was coming down with something and by Tuesday I was really sick with a flu type bug...the shivers and body aches and generallys really sick with no energy...this led to a worse day on Wed where I could not get out of bed until 12 midday. I felt really sick that day and was scared that things would get worse. I have had my flu shot this year and today when I saw the doctor with my IVIG, she thought I could have had the flu, but because I had the injection I had a less severe bout which is still severe for me. I was amazed when I woke on Thursday that I was marginly improved. NO body aches and no shivering. I felt like I had a slight cold and that was it...with some loss of energy...and today I feel better again. Praise the Lord that it has improved and didn't last long.
I had my IVIG infusion today and things went well. I hope the reaction is minimal this week.
Isaac is much better now. Still a runny nose but his energy levels seem to be almost at his normal.
Another huge thing that happened with me this week is that one of my nannies resigned indefinitely due to some things going on in her life. I am very saddened and have felt a bit strange. I hate it when it happens suddenly and I always wonder if I have done something to offend them. However, we are good friends. I don't want to lose that.....but I am scared I will. I do miss her. So we have been having a nanny relieve for now but she is rather new to nannying, but a quick learner and a nice girl. She is 19. Although, I am relieved to say that my permanent nanny of at least 3 years is still with us....she just does different shifts. I don't know how I will do without her when she is a fully qualified teacher next year....I know I will cry. However, she and I see each other socially now as well. I found losing a nanny so suddenly quite traumatic.
I did my nursing talk at the school where my permanent nanny is doing her placement right now. Thbe kids were only 5 and 6 year olds and loved it. I involved them as my volunteer patients......I brought in a dressing pack and bandages and my volunteer patient helped me to demonstrate all that...I did Danielle, my nanny and friend, blood pressure in front of the class and some kids came up the front to use my stethoscope and listen to their own hearts. I wore my uniform and talked all about that and what I do and where I work. I had colouring in sheets for them to do as well. It was fun and really good for me to be involved in something like that. I felt satisfied to help the kids and help Danielle....she is a dear friend and so loyal to me. If you read this, Danielle....I love you heaps. The class gave me a card and chocolates for coming in. That was so lovely.
My ENT appointment went well this week. Nothing weird in my mouth or anywhere. The weird problem I have with swallowing isn't happening right now......but when it happens again the doctor said I must come in as soon as possible and they will scope me while I feel that way to find out what is going on. I decided not to have a PET scan because of the radioactive stuff they use and my marrow can do without any unnecessary radiation in the state that it is in with pre-leukaemia.
Well, I think that is all for now.
Thanks for checking up on us!
Love Charisse

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Maybe he DOES need those Glow-In-The-Dark Boxers!!!!!
Tooo funny! Alan, I'm glad you are ok! Good nursing Ms Charisse! What would he have done without you patching up his dignity????

Michelle Colgan said...

Charisse,

That is sooooo funny. (I am laughing with you Alan, not at you.) I needed that laugh, it felt very good. I am so glad your were not hurt seriously, I am sure you will be in pain for a couple of days, ha ha ha ha I am still laughing. Thanks Alan!!!! I am so glad things are going well with you Charisse, you are our inspiration

Anonymous said...

Well Al...I say nuuthing (Colonel Schlink....you remember Hogan's Heroes!! German Accent) What a hoot.....no reference to the owl on your your page Carissy!!!

Good thing there were bushes hiding you (sort of)...bad enough being caught in your jammies....

Good to hear that you live on the edge still Al!!!

Glad things are good guys, say hi to Isaac from my Isaac...we really should catch up....life has been so busy.

Talk or read soon, just know Al you made my day...starting with a giggle...now I have to face 6 hours of Highland dancing bagpipes and girls!!!! Oh and my boys! Wish me luck

Love you both...praying for Ralph and Wilma too...been on my heart.
Love your old pal Cath

Anonymous said...

Yes, I fell down the stairs!! there's a first time for everything, so laugh it up... it's okay...

there is a lesson to be learned which everyone can benefit from...

1. never spy on your neighbours in the middle of the night
2. never leave the garden lights OFF to conceal the fact that you are not wearing any pants
3. never navigate steep slate stairs in the dark, without pants, while spying on the neighbours and looking the other way!!

Yeaapp... that's the lesson... you can take a gander at my "war wound" at http://www.alchar.com.au/images/alanleg.jpg

It's feeling much better, and is not half as red as it was.

Thanks for the support.

Alan

Anonymous said...

Glad Alan's okay!
Praying!
Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Teresa said...

I love this story! I told it to Tyler and he thought it was pretty good too. Only Alan is talented enough to do something like this! haha! It still makes me laugh and Charisse told me about it a day or so ago. I'm sure he wanted to do something to put a smile on everyones' faces. hehe... (oh, and just to clarify, I am laughing AT you). ha!

Anonymous said...

As my daughter would say, "Oh dear". What more can I say on this matter? Except to say, Charisse, ANY time Alan exits the front door in the dark, get out the video camera because they LOVE this stuff on the funniest home videos, and you could be rich. I am glad for Alan that you are a nurse....
Glad to hear you are feeling better, my love. Sounds like you made it through the flu better than the average person would! Praise God. Love you lots and hope to see you soon.
Liesl

Anonymous said...

Comforting words...know that I'm praying!
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Anonymous said...

Hello Charisse,
Glad to hear you are still laughing and your husband is finding innovative ways to keep you, and us, smiling.
In Florida..school's out,summers here, and I have a few minutes to read and possibly write. So keep up the good work...stay healthy...and we'll talk soon. I have to update Johanna's caringbridge web site.
Love ya...and I miss our "talks".
Joan and Johanna- Fl

Anonymous said...

Praying right now!
Psalms 32:6-7 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Alan! Now who is the Oz who is accident prone! Haha its not me anymore! hehe.

Charisse, you were fantastic with the kids when you came to do your talk. I think you were the best guest speaker we had because you did lots of hands on things with them and they were so excited! Im glad you liked the card and chocolates! I hope you got to have some chocolates before Alan and Isaac ate them all hehe!

Miss you lots! See you next week in school holidays!!! :)

Love Danielle