Monday, June 15, 2009

Pathology Results

Hello All,

I am going to get straight to it. The pathology on the vulva lesion that was removed on Thursday came back as cancer. Squamous Cell Carcinoma, a typical FA cancer. They got all of it, however, pathology shows that the pre-cancerous cells led right to where they excised so more will probably have to be taken out to stop that from turning.

While only a spot of the lesion was cancerous and the rest pre-cancerous, the depth was something like 1.2mm and that is deep enough to concern them that it could have already spread into the abdominal lymph nodes and glands. I am praying this has not happened. Tomorrow we will organise a CT scan of the abdomen and lymph nodes to see if there is any spread. I have been told it is possible that I will need my lymph nodes biopsied and may be removed if there is a problem. I am booked in to see a gynaecological oncologist because this now stretches beyond the expertise of my current gynae. I am booked in to see him a week tomorrow....the 24th of June.

Yes, I feel shocked and very shaken. I was told that this lump looked like an inflammatory granuloma and not anything nasty, although we were cutting the whole thing out anyway. When I had a biopsy done on it last year it came back clear of pre-cancerous or cancerous cells. It is horrible how quickly FA can speed things along and I kick myself for not just removing the whole thing earlier. I hope nothing has spread.

When the doctor rang, my heart started to boom so loudly and my hands started to shake and for 45 mins I could not stop shaking....legs and arms and body in general. It doesn't matter how bad you know FA can be. It doesn't matter how many times I am told bad news, I never seem to get used to it and not react. This has greatly upset me and I don't know what else to do but pray and try to survive.

My surgery to remove the lesion went well. A bit of swelling even now. No bruising and no bleeding. The actual day was full of drama but the actual surgery good.

I had my infusion on Friday. I managed to convince the other hospital to keep my IV line in for infusion at another hospital. Infusion went smoothly. I gave another haematologist the new FA handbook and he asked for my autograph, full name and date! Hehe

Tomorrow is my bone marrow biopsy at 1130. I am overwhelmed by cancer issues. I have been fighting for years against pre-leukaemic changes with prayer. I feel overwhelmed in light of the new news. So please pray that my marrow will not have anything bad....I would like for it to be totally normal.

Ok, that is all I have to say.
Love you,
Charisse

16 comments:

Darla Lindenmayer said...

I know how hard this may be for you. I will keep you in my prayers. Please know that your extended FA Family is uplifting you and praying for you.

Kristin Young said...

I don't know what to say. My heart is broken for you. You are always the eloquent one who knows all the right things to say. I am speechless. Please know my heart and prayers are with you.

Mary Ann Gormley said...

Dearest Charisse,

My mind could not believe what I was reading and my heart goes out to you. You've gone through so much and now this.

I pray that they can excise the pre-cacerous lesions (focus on the word, "pre") and that there has been no spread to your lymph nodes.
Also will pray that there's been no change in the bone marrow.

Will be storming heaven and thinking about you...please try to take one day at a time, please.

With love always,
Mary Ann

Momma Bear said...

May the good Lord wrap you in His tender loving arms and wipe all your tears away, calm your fears, and give you a peace that only He can give....

Blessings and Bear Hugs,

Amelia said...

Just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and sending you lots of hugs and prayers!!!!

JAMAMUM said...

Charisse, this must be such a shock for you. I am so sorry for this news. Please know we are thinking of you, and love you. I am here if you need anything. You are such a strong, positive woman. The power of your faith is something you and your family can really rely on.
Sending you our love and thoughts.
Brooke
xxx

Rebecca Rose said...

I'm sorry, Charisse. That is definitely scary. Obviously I hope that you get some good news and that things haven't spread. I wish I had something more to say but I don't really know what to say. Good luck, Charisse!!
Love,
Becca

Bec Hill said...

My dear friend, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay strong....if you need anything, please let us know. xoxo

Cathy Troup said...

Darling Rissy

My prayers are with you.....as they have been for years...

I keep getting the scripture Prov 3;4-6

Trust in Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths!

Keep your eyes focused on Him Rissey....He never leaves you or forsakes you..

WE LOVE YOU, never forget it, WE WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE WITH YOU!!!

Love and hugs and hugs
Cath

Anonymous said...

Hi Love,
We know that nothing is impossible with God. My heart aches for you and together we will hold onto Psa. 91, God's grace, mercy and love.

We know of so many miracles...what He has done for other He will do for you.

Love you heaps and always praying for you....and here for you.
Love,
Mum

Anonymous said...

You are sooooooooooo loved...by all of us, and most of all, by your Heavenly Father.
Love and lots of hugs,
Mum

Katie W said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! I am sooo sad that things progressed so quickly!! I am praying that they got it all and that nothing has spread. I just commented on the smooth test you just had, but I had no idea of all of this happening. I am sure that it never gets any easier, hearing bad news. I am thinking of you and praying for you.
Lots of love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

We're there for you,Love!Hang in there & stand in faith with us,we'll pull through this one too! We serve a miracle working God!Let the strength of God encompass you and your family!Flo

Anonymous said...

Whoa Charisse... Not good news. I'll pray that it hasn't spread and that your body is clear of cancer. I've been praying for your bone marrow biopsy, and pray for normal results!
Love you!
Leah

Jennifer said...

I am sorry I haven't been around very much Charisse, please know you are/have been in my prayers and thoughts. God bless you.

Jennifer

Katie W said...

I'm praying so hard that things are normal!!! I can't even imagine how consumed you are with this worry. Please keep us all posted and good luck!!
Lots of love,
Katie