Tuesday, June 23, 2009

CT Scan and Oncologist appointment

Hello People,

I had the CT scan on Friday last week and I got the results today. The good news is that the CT scan shows no inflammation in the lymph nodes or glands in the abdomen or the groin. So no evidence that the cancer has spread. Whoo Hoo!!!

However, I thought I would feel estatic after hearing this news. I was incredibly relieved but I still feel SO down. The oncologist was extremely nice. We had a good discussion. He had read the appropriate parts of the FA handbook and had my report from the cancer that had been removed.

He told me that the cancer was 1.2 mm deep which I knew. Apparently there is not really a chance of the cancer microscopicly breaking off into the lymph nodes when it is only 1mm deep. Once it gets over that, there is an approx 7% chance that the cancer has mircroscopicly broken off and entered the lymph nodes even if the CT scan is clear. So I suppose this is why I feel so down. It is such a SMALL chance but apparently the usual is to remove the groin lymph nodes as a precautionary measure even if there is no evidence with the Scan or on examination.

However, this can cause problems in the future, especially for a young woman. Swelling of the legs and groin, drainage problems and problems with dealing with infection. There is the risk of infection when having them removed and bleeding etc.

Of course, for someone like me who has not had a transplant and does have low neutrophils and platelets, it can complicate things. In the future, with low immunity and the groin lymph nodes gone, it can cause problems for infection because I already have low immunity.

They can highlight the lymph node that the area where the cancer was drains to first and only remove that one. Of course, you could have a false positive and end up removing perfectly good lymph nodes with no cancer and then still have complications later one. *sigh*

To be honest, I am feeling rather overwhelmed right now by all of FA. Really overwhelmed. I feel quite a bit depressed and I really want to cry.

Another option, because of the risks and complications for me, is to not remove the lymph nodes at all because the risk factor of spreading is only 7% and just to monitor the lymph nodes which is what I am doing for the head cancer I had out last year.

Obviously surveillance for vulva cancer now would be 3 monthly for me. Examination of lymph nodes and the vulva +/- vulvoscopy and an ultrasound of the groin lymph nodes. This is an option I am looking at.

Lymph node removal can be rather controversal because they can remove completely healthy lymph nodes with no cancer and cause further problems by doing so......because there is no evidence but the theoretical 7% of possible spreading due to the 1.2mm deep cancer rather than 1 mm.

Anyway, I am not fond of causing myself more problems. I am also not fond of having the cancer spread. If it was more like 30% or 50% or 90%, I would obviously have to be more drastic involving the lymph nodes but with 7% I am not too sure and I don't want to make the wrong decision!!!!! Decisions are CRAZY!!!

I have a gut feeling that it is not right to remove the lymph nodes for me and I should just have agressive surveillance like what I am doing with my head........although my surveillance with the gynae will be more agressive as the ultrasounds would also be done 3 monthly. My head MRI's are done annually....or was it 6 monthly....boy I can't remember.

I have given the oncologist the email of the gynae/oncol at the NIH in the States and told him I want us to work out what is best with their opinion in regards to an FA patient. I will also talk to her myself. They would see more FA patients.

As for the area that was excised. They got the full cancer out. However, there are pre-cancerous cells leading right out to the margin. So the margins were not clear and need to be. So I have to go back to surgery, have a vulvoscopy done to see if there is more dysplasia in other areas and how far it goes around the area excised already. They will remove the pre-cancerous cells left there and if there are other cells that are highlighted in different spots, they will biopsy those and we will wait for those results before cutting more *sigh* This could be rather extensive surgery. I am praying that it won't be *sigh*.

A tentative booking for surgery is the 24th July.

I have't got any bone marrow results back yet.

Anyway, I do praise God that the scans came back negative though. If they had come back positive I would be in more trouble! So even though I still feel overwhelmed and down, I have to admit, that is wonderful news and I am so grateful.

I think another part of me feels so down because if I had cut this out earlier as I thought I should...and acted on my feeling....then the cancer wouldn't be over 1mm deep and I wouldn't even have to deal with this lymph nodes stuff! *sigh*

Thanks to all your support. Thanks for praying, thanks for being there for me and thanks for your encouragement!!!

Keep praying!
Lots of love,
Charisse

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as it medically makes sense,we refuse to embrace this report, and we still say NO!!!! to cancer.It will never settle in that body.THAT IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT!We serve a miracle working God,and we are going to pertition Him to stop this once and for all,give total and complete healing.These circumstances should not move us.Lets contnue to press on,and say no to cancer! Away to FA!

Lots of love
FLO

Anonymous said...

Oh Rissy

What a blessing my heart is full of joy for you .......it is a good report, it has not spread. But like Flo "Whose report shall you believe?....I will believe in the report of the Lord" Remember the report of Caleb and Joshua, though the giants seemed too much and they seemed like grasshoppers....we MUST believe in the report of God, wholeness and healing. Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.

I love you dear one and have had you in my heart all day. I will keep in prayer and will always thank God for your divine health.

Rest in Him Rissy. There is nothing else to be done but rest in His wholeness. Love you
Cathy

Kristin Young said...

Don't you for a second feel guilt. If every parent/FA patient acted on every questionable symptom, we would be living in a hospital. The positive is it looks like it hasn't spread. That is wonderful news. I know there is much more to be done, and that can be scary but you have just overcome a HUGE hurdle. God answered your prayers. And it's okay to feel sad and cry. Let it out, grab a tissue and give your hubby a big hug. He'll make you feel better.

Teresa said...

Hey Charisse,

That is wonderful and difficult news all in one. I can see why you are feeling so relieved but still stressed. It doesn't sound like removing the lymphs is the default correct answer since it sounds like it could cause serious problems by doing so, and I imagine it has a higher than 7% chance of doing so.

If you want an outside opinion, I think it is completely reasonable to not remove them and just keep watch on that area. Not that I'm suggesting I know what you should do...just that if you choose that, it seems like a very good choice. Whichever you choose, you have our support. These decisions are so hard. Big hugs, cry, and maybe once a decision is made you'll feel better. FA is so tough!

Love you,
Teresa

Mary Ann Gormley said...

Dear Charisse,

I think you need to sit down and have some milo. You've been through so very much and it's no wonder that your emotions are "wild".

It's good news that the cancer hasn't spread according to the CT. I think you've already made your decision...keep vigilant and have the surveillance done every three months, rather than have the lymph nodes taken out and face far worse problems.

As always, I continue to pray for you and will pray especially for good results on your bone marrow biopsy and your surgery on the 24th.

Always with love,
Mary Ann

Katie W said...

Well, I was thinking it was all great news!! But it is complicated. So many big decisions and worries. For now, I'll just be relieved that things aren't as bad as they could be. You have been in my thoughts soooo much lately!! I really am praying you'll get over all these hurdles soon and that you can be at peace with FA, if that's possible. ;)
Love ya,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Oh Charisse, I'm glad that the CT results were good. I know you are worried about all the other things, but we'll keep praying. God can and will heal! I pray that the Lord will give you a peace in your spirit too. It must be so hard to deal with everything... I love you very much, and will continue to pray.
Leah

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for your family!
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Dianna's Momma said...

Hello!
I will be praying that the choice you make will be the best for you and that you will have peace with your decision.
In Him,
Nanette Foster (Dianna's mom)
https://diannasjourney.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Wanted to share these amazing words of comfort today. Praying!
Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Momma Bear said...

Hey Rissy Bear!

Glad for the wonderful news! Go with your gut feeling, its always the best one! Praying for peace with the decisions!
Love you bunches!
Blessings and Bear Hugs

Anonymous said...

Continuing to lift up prayers for you!
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Joan said...

I stopped by to see how your doing. Take care...Love, Joan and Johanna

Anonymous said...

Dear Charisse,
We are sorry you're going through pain and anxiety, and hope your recovery proceeds quickly and good news abounds. Know that positive thoughts on your behalf are en route all the way from Minnesota to Oz. Hi to the stalwart Alan and congrats to Isaac on losing that tooth -- what a darling photo!
Fondly,
Amy Levine & Brian Horrigan
Parents of Delia, 21, FA-A, BMT 3/4/09
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA