Sunday, March 8, 2009

Our cat died

Hello People,

last night was a really hard night. Isaac's cat, his pride and joy, passed away after being bitten by a brown snake. I feel SO bad and SO guilty.

He came home for dinner as per usual and seemed fine. When we were doing devotions as a family, Jerry was there on Isaac's bed pussy footing and purring as per usual. No dramas. Shortly after that he climbed onto his bed in the lounge room and went to sleep. A couple of times during the night like at 9.30pm and 10pm I noticed him shuffling around a little weird but I also thought he was being a sleepy cat. I had no idea he had been bitten by a snake and that he was becoming paralysed. At 1115 pm something about Jerry concerned me and so we went to check on him and he was paralysed down half of his side and breathing harshly. I immediately started to think either a tick, a snake bite or a stroke. However, he is not even 3 years old yet and so a stroke would seem real unlikely. I started to pray for him and stroke him as he seemed distressed. It broke my heart. Isaac was in bed and so Alan took him to the vet hospital down the road and they tried to work out what was happening and what treatment. They thought it was a clot but then his temperature started to drop critically and that is like a snake bite. So they were going to treat that. Jerry became critical and they started to try and warm him and give him injections for the anti-venom. Then they started the anti-venom. Alan came home to me because I was a wreck. By now it was last into the night like 2am. I had been crying and crying and dreading telling Isaac the next morning if he didn't survive. I went to bed, after hours of praying for Jerry, at about 2.40am. Apparently they rang at 3.10am to say that he had passed away. The vet said that he just started to deteriorate VERY quickly despite the anti-venom going in. That they could do nothing to help him past that point. So he died and I am SO sad. I have had tears a lot through the day and night. I feel lonely without him because he used to cuddle us in the lounge every night. He would sleep on his bed in the lounge and tonight he wasn't there. I feel weird, strange and I hate the heaviness of grief. I know he is an animal but this heaviness reminds me of what it was like after my brother died a month after his transplant.

I had to write because I feel scared and lonely even though Alan is still here. We have another cat called Matilda but she is a different personality. Isaac could do anything to Jerry. They were so close and shared many hugs and cuddles and games and all sorts.

My heart broke when we had to tell Isaac who then cried quite forcefully for an hour to an hour and a half. He has been coping ok though. He has been drawing pictures during the day of him and Jerry and us as a family. He has role played about the snake which is helping him work through it. He has a photo of Jerry and himself that he carries around with him and he has it by his bed right now as he sleeps. He also has Jerry's collar because he wants to smell Jerry. My heart aches for my little fellow right now who is grieving. Tonight when he was going to bed, he became distressed and cried and took a while to settle. We just want out cat back again. For the pain of loss to go.

Jerry helped us all cope with FA. We will let Isaac have another cat at some point. Matilda is really Alan and my cat because she doesn't put up with Isaac's rough play but hopefully he finds some comfort in the fact that she cares so much and has been affectionate.

So that has been our day. Please pray things turn back to normal.
Love Charisse

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condoloscence for your loss,may the Good God comfort you and help you find another cat that will help you heal from your loss!
FLO

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Jerry! I truly know how hard that is after losing our beloved boxer. We weren't expecting to lose her either and I think that makes it all very hard. When it's unexpected. Animals hold such a special place in our hearts because they love us unconditionally and are always there to cuddle during rough times. I wish there was a way to help ease the emptiness you are feeling but I think only time can do that. I am truly so very sorry. I know how hard it is to watch your children deal with pain and grief. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. It sounds like isaac has some very healthy ways of dealing with his grief, and that says volumes about what wonderful parents you are. I hope that can give you a little solace during this sad time.

hugs,
rachel

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Charisse! So hard to deal with something so sudden, and such a loved pet!
Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers so very much!
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Jennifer said...

Awww, I'm so sorry about your cat. I know losing animals can be almost as devastating as losing a person. My prayers are with you and your son.

Anonymous said...

I always come back to these verses. It never ceases to amaze me that the Holy Ghost Himself prays for us! He's praying for you! There's no greater comfort than that!
Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Katie W said...

How horrible about the cat!! I'm dreading the day our dog dies. Kids just get so attached and those pets really mean a lot to them. I hope things get better for you!

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray!
2 Timothy 1:8-10 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
Prayer Bears
My email address