Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tomorrow is the Day!

Hello All,

tomorrow is almost here. It is 6.30pm at night. Tomorrow I will have surgery to take this sebaceous carcinoma of the scalp out of my head. We have all been praying that this tumor is only small. I go in at 0830 in the morning and have some support platelets as a precaution and then I am booked for 0930 but they will probably be late in getting me in. I will be surprised if they are not late. They will also take out this suspcious spot on my hand.......

I have been working on Wednesdays lately and that has provided a good distraction for me. I have needed it because I have been a bit down. I was very overwhelmed by this tumor even though it is small. I had to put my life plans on hold a little bit. I felt very discouraged. I am extremely nervous about tomorrow. I sure hope they don't go crazy with shaving my hair off. I want them to be conservative....and I will tell them again and again tomorrow to be careful because even though hair grows back, long hair is pretty special to me......it is all about how it makes you feel. I don't need to feel horrible about myself anymore than I do. *sigh*

Well, I have some pictures of when I spoke to the reception/year 1 class about nursing. I won't put up too many of them but at least you can get the jist. I didn't take the photos, the class teacher had permission to do so.

I spoke to the class about what nurses do and brought some things with me so they could interact. I had my stethoscope and some children were able to listen to their own hearts. The picture below is of me bandaging my "patient's" arm. Hehe. On the chair is a dressing pack that I brought from work. It is not sterile on the chair but they got the idea of how we set it out and use it and clean someone's wound with it. I showed them all of that and demonstrated on my patient how to clean and dress a wound.


Hehe.....I have got more photos but there are many children in the photos so I didn't want to put them all up. This is an action photo of me....hehe....my face is strange because I am talking about nursing. Hehe. I am wearing my uniform which is hard to determine in these photos but you get the general idea.
Anyway, it was fun.
Well, Teresa Clifton has her baby! A baby girl.....Violet Rose I think. Congratulations to the Cliftons! If you want to read their site, the address is:
It is always exciting when a new baby comes into the family!
Thank you for the constant support from everyone. I am going to go. It is time for dinner. I have helped Isaac with some homework...sight words but I need to help him with one more thing before bed.
Love ya,
Charisse

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charissy been praying for you all week....I know that God is with you. Will be praying for you tomorrow and after and will message Al to hear progress. Love you girl. Rest in Him, He is with you always.
Take care, give Al a hug and Isaac....
Always your old friend Cathy

Anonymous said...

hey love, i know tomorrow is going to be fine... good surgery.. good pathology... good result overall.

You did a good job with the kids, and I am very proud of you. You should be pleased with the type of nurse you are, as I only hear excellent reports of your skills and patient care... the only people who struggle with you are those who are threatened by your strength and faith; and that's hardly something to be discouraged about!

You are a conqueror, and tomorrow will be a "walk in the park".

Sleep well tonight, and i'll be there with you in the morning--scrubs and all!!

Love Alan

Anonymous said...

Don't know if this will be in time for you to read it before surgery...know that I'm here praying hard that all goes well!
Psalms 23:1-3 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Prayer Bears

Siouxsie said...

I meant to post earlier but I wanted to wish you well and let you know that you're in our prayers. I thought the pictures of you w/ the kids were so sweet.
Love,
Siouxsie

Charisse said...

I am praying for a surgery free of complications followed by a smooth and swift recovery. I am also praying for your emotional health and mood to improve, because I understand how difficult it can be to struggle with feeling anxious, discouraged and depressed. Hugs and love you heaps. Jennifer

Teresa said...

Sorry...I'm a behind on reading blogs! I remembered you'd mentioned this entry and so I checked it out. I love the photos! I remember you telling me about you doing this. It was fun to see you in action:-) It must've been a lot of fun for the kids. I bet they think it was so neat that a nurse came and talked to them and they'll likely remember it for a long time.

I'm so glad that when they did the surgery, they were mindful of your hair/emotions and didn't shave much off. I would've felt exactly like you. I would want as much of my hair left as possible. I hope you are feeling well.

Love,
Teresa