Saturday, July 26, 2008

How Am I Feeling? Some Thank yous!

First of all,


thanks to Alan, my wife, for writing my last update.....hehe....but one correction, he is my husband.....hehe......that is funny. For those of you who do not know, Alan is my husband not my wife.


Ok, IVIG infusion went well on Friday. I was heaps wiped out from the anaesthetic on Thursday and my head has been throbbing something awful so I have been having digesic practically every 4 hours which has made me feel a bit wiped out too. Today my head was a bit better and not so painful but my hand has been really painful where they cut out the suspicuous spot as well. I re-dressed the wound yesterday and it looked good. It looked a bit digusting not even being 24 hours old, but healthy. I will re-dress it again in a day or so and check on its progress, especially if it feels more sore. It was funny. I was seeing the doctor and showing him and felt really strange. It looked gross but good medically and I felt like I was going to faint. Being a nurse who works in surgcial areas I have seen much bigger and fresher wounds before and don't feel weird but seeing it on myself made me feel real strange. Hahaha....it is so silly.


Alan helps me wash my hair. It still has some old blood in it. It has been washed twice but the stuff really gets stuck in there....betadine as well. We have to wash my hair in sections over the bath. It feels really vulnerable and sore. After the wash though, I feel nice.


I have been wearing my new hat. Even though they didn't shave much, there was not heaps of hair at the top of my head to flop over because of the position and so my head gets cold being winter here and all and then sore. Also, I feel subconscious so I wear my new hat. Here is a picture of my new hat below. I look at bit tired though:





I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in 10 days with the stitches and possibly to find out any more pathology results on the tumor, whether I have this Muir-Torre Syndrome and whether they got all the tumor definitely.



My platelets have been holding steady and yesterday were 134 000 which is great. I did have support platelets before the surgery so they would have been even higher. It is just nice to see the platelets holding so there will be no need for any other support platelets for healing purposes. I was really excited that my White blood cells were 3000 and my neuts were 1500 and my haemaglobin still at 13.8 despite any bleeding in surgery. They said it bled more than usual. I don't know about that because my platelets would have been higher than 134 000. I just think it was head surgery. Head surgery bleeds a lot. My clotting factors are all normal......



I want to say some thank yous. Thank you to Alan's mum, Denise, for helping us with looking after Isaac, taking him to school and picking him up and bedding him down...and for taking me to infusion. Isaac needs a lot of support when we have incidents like this. He has been a bit more teary this weekend. Thank you for your support. Thank you, Alex, for your love and support as well. It has meant a lot to us.



Thank you to my sister, Liesl, for also picking Isaac up for me on infusion day.....once again, it is great that Isaac has that family support and for us too. Thank you...it is much appreciated. Tim, we love you too. Thank you for supporting us with love and prayer.



Thank you to my sister-in-law, Angela for all your phone calls and smses and friendship and love and chats. I am greatly grateful (hehe) for that and have appreciated your support. I LOVED working with you on the gastroenterology Unit last week! Hehe...we had fun (she and I are both nurses). Darren, you are a blessing too. Thanks for your love and support.



Mum and dad, even though you have been in Africa, we have felt your love and support and thank you for your constant messages. We love you...........



Hold on everyone.....you may be thanked...hehe



Teresa Clifton, even though you have had a baby, you have been so sweet and supportive with your emails and love. Thank you so much my friend. I love you.



Jennifer gough, another beautiful person who is a part of the FA Family. I love you and thank you for your supportive emails and friendship. Thank you for the beautiful flowers that pleasantly surprised me when I got home from IVIG infusion the day after. I was so touched. We took a picture to share them with everyone.....below is the picture:



They are beautiful flowers....thank you Jennifer.

I am almost finished.

Thank you to my dear friend, Danielle....for being a great personal friend and support and a great nanny to Isaac. We love you heaps. Kiss, kiss, kiss.........and to Chris (boyfriend) who is willing to help me out with taxying Isaac and I around this Tuesday. You are a blessing.

Leah, my beautiful friend, thank you to you for the help you will be giving me this Tuesday as well with looking after Isaac and I in the afternoon! We really appreciate it. I wanted to thank you in advance.

Cassie! My true best friend. We went through school together and have remained so close throughout the years. You have been through so much with me including when Shannon, my brother, died one month after his transplant. I know you remember the day well. I love you. Thanks for your love and support.

So much support!!!! So many messages in my guestbook and emails. I love my FA Family! You guys are great. If I have not thanked you personally, please consider yourselves thanked now. It would become even longer if I continued to thank everyone. However, I wanted to acknowledge those specific people.

One more person I cannot forget.....my husband, yes.....husband, Alan. Alan we have been married for 10 years this December and you have stuck by my side through many dramas with FA. I am blessed to have you as my husband. I am so glad you have not run away from me and have been so loyal. I could not do any of this without you. I love you very much. Thank you for always being there for me.

Ok, I have said all I can say tonight. I love you all and will update soon again.

Lots of love,

Charisse

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charisse, I think you look great! Not that this is comparable but I remember when I was little and swimming in a lake a kid decided he was going to throw a BIG rock into the water and it hit me in the head and bounced off. I remember them shaving my hair so they could stitch it up. I could cover most of it until my hair started to grow back in. It would stick straight up through my hair so I looked like I had this little volcano of hair sticking up. It was pretty funny. But, eventually it layed down, with some superglue ;0)

Hang in there. You did it.

Leslie said...

I hope your head keeps healing quickly.
You make me laugh calling Alan your wife. I was confused for a second.
That's cool that you have been married 10 years in Dec. Josh and I will have been married 10 years in January.

Siouxsie said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Isn't it nice to have such a great wife, I mean, husband? :-) Keep getting well!
Lots of love

Anonymous said...

Hope you're head's better soon!
And what a blessing to have so many special people in your life!
There is hope in the Lord! Praying right now!
Psalms 16:7-9 I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

Love you Charissy.....what a blessing to be part of you....the hat looks grand!! Why not it is winter!!! You are going well...God is good, I CANNOT for the life of me understand why people do not love Him hey!! The things He does for us, the husbands, the kids, the parents, the church, the small mercies, the rib tickling gut laughs, the aussie days!! the help on the hard days and all the good things!!
I AM SO GLAD WE KNOW GOD....and one other thing if it was not for God we would not know you and Al. How blessed are we.
I am a little pumped up, hard great church today! Blessed out of my socks. Love you always Cathy and her Troups

Anonymous said...

I am praying for continued healing of your wound and of Isaac's emotional state as well. I'm so glad that you are surrounded with friends and family who love and support you and Alan and who are willing to pitch in when and wherever they can. I pray your headache is gone soon and I look forward to chatting with you again sometime in the future. Heaps of love and prayers from me to you. Jennifer

Michelle said...

Hi Charisse,

Thank you so much for explaining the BP to me. I understand now.

You look very pretty in your new hat nad I am glad you are feeling better.

Michelle

Judy said...

Charisse, I am glad you are feeling well enough to make jokes and to post yourself. I have been praying for you during all of this. I think you are beautiful in your hat, or anytime for that matter. God Bless, and praying for a speedy recovery,

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse,

It makes me very happy to hear that your surgery went well and that you still managed to tell the doctors what to do even when im sure it was scary going in for surgery.. stick to your guns thats what i say haha... new hat looks great looks nice and snug for winter.

Will speak to you soon. Lots of Love from Jordan

Anonymous said...

Praying!
Psalms 18:30-32 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

AAAAh, me lady, the hat looks wonderful! How could it look any other way?
Blessings and Bear Hugs,