Thursday, July 24, 2008

surgery

Hi everyone,


Alan here, Charisse's wife. Just updating all of her fans on how things went today with her surgery.


Charisse did very well and will spend a few more hours in hospital, but we plan to be home tonight.


I spoke with the surgeon, and he said the tumor was pretty localised, so he did not have to take an enormous section of charisse's scalp.. praise the Lord!!


they managed to shave around the area, and not a quarter of her head--to the relief of Charisse, who should be able to style her hair to cover.


As to be expected, Charisse exercised her patient rights with determination; kicking myself, two nurses, and the surgeon himself out of her room so she could negotiate how she is to be treated with the anaethetist... go Charisse!!!!


I donned the scrubs, shower cap and booties also; and walked charisse into theatre and held her hand as she fell asleep. The whole theatre knew when the G.A. took effect as she started to snore. he he he


The surgeon made an oval-shapped incision twice the depth of the tumor with an approriate margin around the outside. Thankfully, they were able to close the wound with stitches and not have to use a skin graft.


Further down the page, there is a picture of the site... it looks a little gorey in the picture, but it's not so nasty looking in real life.... or perhaps I am developing a tolerance to looking it.


Aside from all this, Charisse is feeling relatively good... a little pain (to be expected) but otherwise okay. As mentioned before, we will be heading home later tonight, then Charisse returns to another hospital tomorrow morning for her IVIG infusion!!


So that's it... if you would like to see the picture scroll down...

\/


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi alan and charisse,
glad to hear the surgery went well and there was no skin graft needed. thanks for the photo alan.. now I wont need dinner!!
I was thinking of you today charisse, and am glad you are planning on coming home tonight. take it easy and get some pampering!
love you
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Thank God everything went well! I was praying for you today Charisse. I'm really happy that they didn't have to do a skin graft and also that they shave only a little bit of your head.
You're a champion Charisse! Love you!
Leah

Unknown said...

Hi Alan and Charisse
What a relief to have that surgery over and to know it all went well. Sorry I have been so preoccupied with Kelly's hospitalisation lately not to take so much notice of what is happening with everyone else out there. Thank goodness they didn't have to shave too much hair off and that you can cover it up no trouble. I hope your infusion also goes well tomorrow. Charisse you are an amazing person. You always overcome any obstacles in your way. God bless you love. Jan Turner

Anonymous said...

Yi Hah
Go God.....Go Howard Jonesies....He is so good knows how much we can handle and gives us grace accordingly. Al be encouraged you are a mighty man of God....a nice bloke too!! He he...I won't tell you to look after her you do already, but you can give her a big sloppy kiss and say love ya, and great news from Cathy and her Troups. Will be praying for a quick recovery AMEN

Anonymous said...

Thanks Charisse's "wife" for updating us!!!!! HA! Thankfully all went well and now the healing can begin...Luv u bunches!

Blessings and Bear Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Thanks Charisse's "wife" for updating us!!!!! HA! Thankfully all went well and now the healing can begin...Luv u bunches!

Blessings and Bear Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Hello Charisse,

I'm sorry you've had to go through this but I'm very glad the surgery went well and the cancer seemed localised. That is certainly a good thing. That is quite a picture. I'm not sure I would've been brave enough to show that one! Good on ya, mate!

John Hanna

Anonymous said...

Hi my sweet, it is true, that it does not look as bad as that in real life. You did so well and God was there all the way. Thankfully you are not like an episode of All Saints! I am proud of you.

love you lots
L xoxox

Anonymous said...

Glad it's over, and praying for your scalp to heal quickly and completely. Praying also for no nasty side effects from the IVIG infusion. Yea for you standing up for yourself with the anasthetist. Hugs, prayers, and love you heaps. Jennifer

jennifer said...

Glad you are home and it is over.

Jennifer Gough

Siouxsie said...

Happy to hear that things didn't have to escalate to the skin graft and such. Hope this continues to go smoothly with a quick, easy recovery.
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

You did it!!! Now stay at home, relax and let Alan be the nurse. He might even look cute in your nurses outfit! Now that's a picture I would like to see. I'm so glad they seem to have gotten everything out and there was no need for a skin graft. That is wonderful news. Hugs.

TueogKirstinelaCourMarkerRasmussen said...

We think that you are very brave Charisse - good work both to you and the surgeon! And hugs from Copenhagen

Teresa said...

Charisse's wife,

Thanks for the update. The picture is pretty sore looking! I'm so glad they didn't have to do a skin graft and didn't have to shave more of her hair. It has to be a relief to have it over with! I hope she recovers quickly and handles the infusion well.

Thinking of you all!
Love,
The Clifton's
PS: Sorry, Alan, I am too tired to think of something insulting to say to you. Just know that I would if I could think of it. I do think it's quite funny you're Charisse's wife though, haha!

Lynn said...

Glad it's over! Hope the recovery is quick!
The Lord will be with you always! I'll be here praying!
Psalms 23:4-6 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

Trust the Lord and His Will. Know that I'm praying!
Psalms 5:11-12 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

praise God for the outcome of the surgery,we'll continue to press on with prayer for the complete eradication of this ca.Take care Alan & Charisse,Flo