Friday, May 1, 2009

Good Day with Isaac

Hi All....again....hehe,

Isaac had a good day today. He asked for a snack at morning tea time and so I offered him some things and he chose to have some jatz (cracker biscuits). I thought, "this will be interesting" but still gave them to him. He had two at first. I was doing something and he said he was finished. I was SO surprised! No crying, or gagging as he ate these so we got him another 2 with vegemite on them and he ate them too, clearing his throat a little! I was so excited. He then asked for a piece of bread with butter. So we gave him it and I waited with baited breath for the tears and gagging and spitting. A little clearing of the throat but nothing else happened! Yay! He had eaten without a fuss! I had high hopes for lunch time being a success as well :-)

Lunch time approached and he wanted orange soupe (pumpkin) with teddy noodles. So I heated the soup through since we had it yesterday and cooked the teddy noodles and mixed it all together. He ate quite a bit and then said he was full. That usually means he is getting tired feeding himself and because I want him to have a good lunch I offered to help. He ate almost the whole soup and the noodles. He spat up one noodle and gagged a little. But there were no tears...YAY!!!!!!

He had a biscuit for afternoon tea and didn't have many issues...still no tears.

We went to visit Aunty Angela this afternoon and that was fun. Then we went to the hairdresser for Isaac to have a hair cut. It was well overdue! Isaac never likes having his hair cut and always complains prior to the appointment. He used to scream during his hair cut but since starting school last year, he gets a bit pouty (a word???) and sulks a bit but is always very good. Today I was expecting the same. Well he sat there getting his hair cut and he started screaming! I was so surprised! As the scissors came closer he did this high pitched scream/squeal and burst into fresh tears....crying and crying and then screaming again. I apologised to the hair dresser explaining that he had a traumatic week last week and he must be just traumatised. I then tried to coax Isaac through the haircut which was hard with him crying and screaming at intervals! I was telling him that the hairdresser is not hurting him, just cutting his hair like we always do! But when he saw the scissors out the corner of his eye, he would panic and scream and then cry!

I must say that Isaac must be a bit traumatised from what happened last week post tonsillectomy and his recovery! He must be very sensitive right now which is why he has been struggling to recover from it all. It makes me nervous that in a week I have to take him for another blood test. Just seeing the room and knowing what is going to happen freaks him out before they do anything! I know Isaac is a real sensitive kid but what I witnessed today made me feel sad that he was so traumatised last week. I know that when I was a child...and of course I have FA....I had so much stuff happen and felt out of control and traumatised a lot of the time! Poor Isaac.

After the hair cut the man gave him a nice biscuit for doing a "good job", although I don't think Isaac was "well behaved" compared to how he usually is....but he wasn't deliberately being naughty today......I could see the fear in his eyes....shame my poor baby! I told the man he was so nice giving Isaac a biscuit when Isaac screamed and didn't sit still and stuff. The man was not phased by Isaac's outburst which was good. He is a great hair dresser and is one of the people who does Isaac specifically. He reassured me that Isaac was acting out of fear and trauma of what he had been through last week.

Then Isaac and I headed home. On the way home he asked for some MacDonalds and I thought, "wow, he is feeling better!". Alan and I got him MacDonalds for dinner and Isaac ate 4 of the 6 chicken nuggets and a bit of the chips, the chocolate milkshake and we cooked him up some brocholi which he ate the lot of :-) No tears but there was HEAPS of GROSS gagging!!! Hahahahahahahaha! He told us that God had told him to eat all his tea and not worry about his throat hurting.....so he did. Impressive hey????

Isaac also had only 3 doses of panadol for pain relief today instead of 4 doses! He is now off the tramadol (strong pain relief).

He is still waking distressed at night where he isn't awake and you have to wake him to calm him down. Shame. He still is very pale. However, he may be able to go to school on Monday. We will trial him and if he doesn't cope, he can stay home the next day.

In one week, as I said, we need to have those bloods taken for him to check his CBC (Complete blood count, platelets, haemaglobin), his INR and prothrombin times (clotting times) and whether his marrow is producing the baby red blood cells properly (reticulytes,....test has a longer name). Because he is pale and had the bleed they want to check that these are all ok. Also, he had the abnormal clotting...it was too slow so they want to see if it is like that when he is well and eating more normally. What a joy. I pray that it all goes well.

As for me, stay in tune for my bone marrow biopsy date, my follow up MRI for my head and neck and sinuses and ENT follow up, gynae follow up and may be biopsy of down there again.....and my liver/breast ultrasounds that I am due. I had the dentist about 2 weeks ago. I also have a dermatology appointment to check the normal and see what my head scar is doing.

Thanks for checking in everyone!
Thanks for the support!
Love Charisse

11 comments:

Judy said...

I am so glad that Isaac is doing better, and pray that things continue to get better. I am proud of him, for listening to God also. Take care my friend and know that I am thinking of you and praying for you always.

jennifer said...

I am so glad that Isaac is doing better!! You have been through a rough week. Give me an update on your job interview when you get a chance. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank God Isaac is getting better,it must be traumatic for such a young chap to undergo so many things at the same time.He is an obedient prophet of God too, and
has all lines of communication with heaven open! Love you.Flo

Rebecca Rose said...

Very pleased to her that Issac's eating is improving so rapidly even if his paleness isn't.

Yes, I was pale for a long time but I also had many issues that kept arising for a few months so I wasn't able to eat hardly anything for a few months and was very sick. I don't know if the paleness had to do with anything more than that or how my clotting was since it wasn't looked into. I hope he starts to pink back up soon. I also hope you are able to get some good time to unwind and recover from the craziness!

Love: Becca

Anonymous said...

Hi Darl,
It was so great to talk with you last night. (Sorry about the bill!) Have to give you the landline number next time.
Praise God for Isaac's beginning to eat. He will recover fast when his appetite is in full flight again. Bless his little heart. We miss him, and you all, and pray for you all every day, that God would protect and that Isaac's test result, in Jesus Name, will come back A okay.
Love you all heaps,
Mum and Dad

Anonymous said...

Always here praying!
Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!!!
Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Anonymous said...

These verses are so comforting. Continuing to pray!!!!!!!!!
Revelation 21:1-4 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Prayer BearsMy email address

Julie Barbier said...

Wow, I am so glad to have found your journal. I am the mom of a 24 year FA patient. He is 17 months post Bone Marrow Transplant and getting better every day. You are the first "adult" FA patient that we have come across. Justin, has been invited to attend the Adult FA convention in Denver, Colorado, USA in July and we are so eager to talk with others like him. We pray for you, and ALL FA patients, and Bone Marrow transplantees! I hope you have an awesome Mother's Day and GOD bless you!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/justinbarbier

Katie W said...

I'm a little slow on getting a comment listed--sorry. :) I'm so glad that Isaac is getting better and better. What a traumatic thing he must have gone through to revert back to his fear of the hair cut. Poor boy! I hope he's perfectly recovered soon!
Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Hi Charisse,
Good tocatch upon all the latest news, and it was so good to chat with you this morning our time;
We are praying for all of the above needs. All things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes, so rest assured that God is in Alans job change. We pray and persevere. He has not forgotten you.
Love you heaps: Africa is treating us well, and so is our faithful God.
Love to all the fam,
Mum and Dad