Tuesday, October 14, 2008

David Phelps Concert!

Hello All!
I am back.....again! Hehe. Well the David Phelps concert was GREAT! Magnificent even..... Who is David Phelps you say? For those of you who remember when I went to Camp Sunshine a number of years back I shared a song with you guys on the Talent Night and David Phelps wrote the song. I also sang a David Phelps song at FA Australia Camp. When I minister or sing somewhere, I often use a David Phelps song. He really blesses me with what he writes in the songs. I love to share my Christian Background and David Phelps songs are a great way to share with people. When I am very down with FA, I just watch my DVD's and listen to my CD's with David Phelps singing and I am so touched by the power of God through his music. I sit there with tears falling down my cheeks.

I wanted, so badly, to meet him. And so.....he came to Brisbane, Australia. I was so excited and Alan and I could not afford to send Alan, Isaac and I. We have just come back from holiday on Kangaroo Island as you know......so Alan said for me to go because he knew how much it would mean to me. I was heaps nervous flying on my own. It was only interstate but I was anxious about changing flights. So we decided to contact the airline and organise help for me so I would not get so anxious and upset. Quantas was GREAT. The flight attendents were so nice to me going there and coming back. They helped me get where I needed to and checked on me and made sure I was not anxious.

I also wanted to thank Karien, one of my mother's friends for housing me up for the night. Thank you for looking after me and cooking for me.

Also I want to thank Aliki and Rob. Aliki is an Australian singer who goes around to different events and churches witnessing to people through her music. She has ministered through her music to our church and we know them a bit....mum and dad know her and Rob quite a lot. Aliki managed to be a "support singer" at the David Phelps concert! Go Aliki!!! The first picture is of Aliki singing. I don't know how many people were there. The convention center was pretty full and big! So a good amount of people. I have some of Aliki's CD's and she is a very enjoyable singer to listen to with a great ministry! If you are interested in her music, please go to her website below:

www.aliki.com.au


Oh yes, I have not said why I was thanking Aliki. Well, she and Rob managed to register me as one of their "team" for her and I had access to backstage and her dressing room, the dinner for the team of David Phelps and band, the crew and her team and so on. Thanks to Aliki because if it wasn't for her I would not have been able to be back there. I was able to get a seat in the very front row, in the middle seat, right in line with where David stood and sang. I was REAL close! Haha.....also Aliki spoke with David backstage and told him about me and he said he would meet with me privately after the concert! So THANK YOU ALIKI!!!! Haha......

Another support singer and band was "Alabaster Box" who are very popular here in Australia, on radio and their CD's and stuff are really well known. They have been living in the US for a while but have just come back. This is the singer below . I really enjoyed their music!
Here is David Phelps! Whoo Hoo! Ha.....you can see I am not shy about my enthusiasim. He sang wonderfully. I was right in front of him here.

More pictures!

He was sitting RIGHT in front of me. He was singing "There is a River". Old Gospel Song........beautiful! He sang it SO well.

More pictures!

Ok, I am real tired here. After the concert he ran around to the front of the convention center, behind a desk thingy and signed CD's and also had pictures. Because I had the backstage access I was around there with him with Aliki too. However, I waited to have the private meeting with him in the lounge after he was finished signing. That was 12am!!! So I was really tired in this photo. I really enjoyed meeting him. He shook my hand and I told him about FA and his music and how it had touched me, me using his backing tracks and singing .....we spoke more about FA and he was real sweet. He was very personable and real. He gave me a hug, signed my new CD and obviously, we had a picture. While I was talking to him about FA and losing my brother, I had tears that I could not stop. I didn't ball....just wept a little....very quietly....didn't lose control. It was a dream to meet him. Hehe...I look very little in this photo....oh well.


I had a picture taken with Andrea (sp?). She is a part of David's band and plays a MEAN violin! Ha! I don't know how many of you would know but I am a violinist and learnt from the age of 7. Or was it younger. I was young though. I am actually a very good violinist. I don't mean to sound proud but I am a good violinist and was a teacher for some of my time. I taught at 4 different schools up until I was 24 years old. I also used to play in weddings and at functions. I would do it again but sometimes I feel a bit stressed with everything else. I LOVED watching her play and listening to it. She signed my CD and obvously, we had a picture together. She is taller than me. She is bending her knees for the photo :-)

Does everyone know Billy Graham? Does everyone know Franklin Graham, his son? Does anyone know of William Graham, his grandson? Well at the concert, William Graham, Billy Graham's grandson, spoke for 20 mins at the concert and I really enjoyed his speaking. From the photo below you can see the resemblence between them all. I have heard Franklin Graham speak somewhere else too. Billy Graham is 90 now! Amazing. When I was flying back to Adelaide via Sydney, I found myself on the same plane as Will Graham and his team. One of them recognised me from the concert and said, "hey this is Charisse, Aliki's best friend"....ha, talk about being famous.....hehe. I don't know if I am her best friend but I didn't correct them. It wasn't appropriate. Hehe!


Well, they let me take a few little videos on my camera of David Phelps singing. However, I don't feel it would be right to play them here. Just because of law and so on. I forgot to say what type of singer. He is a tenor and rated as one of the best tenors in the world. He is extremely versatile. If you are interested in his music or work go to:

www.davidphelps.com

Well, it was all very exciting. Ha! I kept running into him back stage but was too shy to say anything. I was even in the prayer circle before the performance and he was right there......one person beside me and then him.....but I was still a bit shy. I am so glad I got to meet him in the end. If I ever had another make a wish....I said that it would always be to go to his concert, meet him and speak privately.....well those wishes came true.....God blessed me. However, I have one more "wish"....hehe.....to sing with him on stage! I will never have a voice like his but oh how I would love to sing with him!

Bless you all,

Thanks for reading,

Love Charisse

15 comments:

JAMAMUM said...

wow charisse! How amazing this post is. I can only imagine how nervous you must have been -travelling alone. you are very brave.
I am so glad you got to meet David Phelps. I know your song at the Adelaide Camp had a few of us in tears!!
Love you,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hi Darling

Great stories about your experience with David Phelps at the concert. I am glad everything went well.

Love you lots
Dad

Anonymous said...

So great, Charisse. I wish I was there too. David has such a great voice and such a great ministry. You are so spoilt...blessed. How come you always land the front seat at memorable events?
So glad that you could make it.
Love ya,
Mum

Hannah said...

Very cool, Charisse! I'm so happy you got to have a lovely trip to meet David Phelps. I saw him in concert a few years ago when he was with the Gaither Vocal Band. He is very talented.

Jennifer said...

Looks like you had an amazing time! What a great blessing music can be to us! So glad you got to meet him and everything, how exciting!

Rebecca Rose said...

Sounds like you had a really great time!!! I'm very glad you were able to go. You're excitement about the whole thing definitely shows through in your post. :-) I'm glad it was so much fun. That's very nice of you husband to say for you to go since he knew you would enjoy it so much.

That's neat that you play the violin and that you're good at it too! :-) My husband and I both play the violin (him since he was 4 and me since I was 12) but neither of us have played for a few years.

Judy said...

How totally amazing! I have tears of happiness in my eyes from reading your post of your exciting adventure. You are so amazing, and I am glad God has blessed you once again with this wish come true. Take care my friend, and get some rest, I know you must be so tired, yet so hyped up. Congrats on such a great outing.
Your friend always,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Very cool -- what a wonderful memory for you! Thanks for sharing these high points in your life with us! Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Charisse! FANTASTIC!!!! He's one of my favourite singers too. That was such a blessing to meet him! I'm so glad your dream came true!
I'm sure you're still on a high!
Love you!
Leah R.

Anonymous said...

Typing up a sermon for my husband and he included this passage. What comfort these words give! Praying!
1 Peter 2:22-24 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

These words have always given me such great comfort. We have eyewitness testimony of our Savior! Know that I'm here praying as always!
1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous said...

Cool Charissy....God does hear our prayers...even the little unspoken I wish kinda ones.....

That was like me going oseas with the kids!! Unspoken but I still wanted to.

Been at Middleton for a week, needed a desperate break....going a bit stir crazy.

Read 4 books, did crosstich and sat on veranda and watched the sea and felt the sun. NICE!

Love ya girl....David is awesome, James likes his singing too, we listen to him often......I think he is a Gaither singer too...

Talk soon your mate
Cath

Anonymous said...

When I share this passage I normally only include verse 4 but this whole section is really good. Continuing to pray!!!!!!!!!!!
Revelation 21:2-5 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Prayer Bears

Teresa said...

When you said his name, it seemed familiar, so I googled him to try to find out why. Turns out I was thinking of Michael Phelps, the swimmer (duh, I'm a dork). But, in my searching, I found a video of David singing and listened to it. He has a beautiful voice. I can see why in your difficult times it helps and strengthens you.

Your whole experience sounds absolutely amazing! That's so wonderful you were able to meet him and have a chat with him. I bet you touched his life a lot. The photo with him you do look SUPER tiny! haha! It made me laugh. You are very little (5 ft?) but you look like you are 8 years old in that. It's a very good photo, though! He must be tall.

I remember you singing at Camp Sunshine and thought you had a very beautiful voice. Maybe one day you'll be able to sing with him;-)

Love you;-)
Teresa

Anonymous said...

May the Lord give you His peace. Lifting up prayers right now!
Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Prayer Bears