Friday, November 16, 2007

We are Home!

Hi Everyone!
Wow, it feels like forever since I wrote in this journal.
We are back from Queensland in North-Eastern Australia. It was a wonderful holiday. We went to SeaWorld there and visited the man made glo worm cave. We went to parks and for walks and to a place called O'Reiley. At O'Reiley there are parrots which sit on your head and shoulders and anywhere you put food. They are so tame. You busy special seed and feed them. Isaac was rather frightened at first but after we went on the Tree Top Walk he told us he thought he was brave enough to have a bird on his head. He enjoyed it SO much. I have pictures and need to put them on here so you can see. The Tree Top walk is exactly that.....we are on a big mountain and they do bridges high into the trees that you walk along. It is very high up and can be a little scary, but it is beautiful. Isaac wasn't scared at all!
We also went to visit the Strawberry Farm, but unfortunately when we got there they were closed due to being burnt down. It was so disappointing. They make special milkshakes and icecreams with whole strawberries and have an animal nursery where you can feed baby animals with bottles of milk. But it was closed. Isaac was so disappointed and to be honest, I felt really sad. It is something that my family did every time we went to Queensland and we went every year for a long time. My dad's family is up there. My grandparents lived there to so we used to do all sorts of fun things.
What else did we do? Thinking.....um....we stayed on the moutain with my Aunty Shirley and Uncle Bob. They have 2 acres of land and there own banana trees and avocado trees and nuts and stuff. They let Isaac ride on the ride on lawn mower and Isaac also steered it. He thought that was great. One day while he was sleeping Alan and I went around the yard and took nice and funny pictures of each other and the yard for memory sakes. I need to get the photos printed from my digital camera so I can make up our family album of our holiday.

We walked up hills which I surprised myself. I have been so well while away and felt most of my worried go. I had a break from the medical world and lived in fanatsy for a while.
At SeaWorld we went on rides and saw dolphins and shark enclosures. Isaac went on rides with us and loved it. He loved going on a ride which was a water one and at the end you come down a steep slippery dip in the small boat and get wet. He squealed all the way with laughter and it was great to watch him have so much joy. I also loved that ride. I squealed along with him. It was so much fun. We went to Sesame Street section in SeaWorld and I also went on all the children's rides with Isaac which I must admit, was very fun. He is so adventurous now.
Isaac turned 5 years old while we were away on the 8th November. He was so excited at his birthday. We had a party with my cousin and her children and Aunty Shirley and Uncle Bob. It was great! Isaac loved their children...particulary the youngest who is 12....Michael is his name. He followed Michael everywhere. Michael was such a good sport and played with Isaac.

We went to the Brisbane museum on Isaac's birthday and on the City Cat boat on the river which goes fast. We did a lot. Some days I was so exhausted we stayed at home. However, I have not had so much fun for a long time.

I was ready to come home to my house....but not ready to enter back into normal FA life with all the appointments and infusions and stuff.

So today....only the second day home I was due my IVIG infusion and I had a really yucky day. First of all it was 34 degrees celcius today and the cancer center is in a warehouse. They didn't turn the air-conditioner on and I become heat affected very easily. I get heat stroke very easily and then my body becomes a furnace and I have trouble cooling down. They also sent an inexperienced nurse to put my jeclo/IV access in and draw blood and she did so badly that they IV access bent so badly that I was in so much pain and they couldn't get my infusion in. The blood was taken badly that it clotted and clumped and they were not able to do my counts. I finally asked for a nurse who had done me lots before. However, my veins all collapsed and I was stuck another 3 to 4 times before a jelco was in. I then felt so sick because they had put hot blankets on me to help my veins and with no air-conditioning my body heated up and I had to run to the bathroom because I felt I was going to faint and throw up. I threw water all over my face. This happened 2 to 3 times today. I cannot have the infusion run fast because I react and so I insist upon the rate that I can handle and then the nurse changed it when I had my second bottle up to see how I would go and I began shaking and really cold, yet still feeling like a furnace and had to run to the bathroom again fearing I would throw up. They then put hot blankets on me to stop the shivering and I didn't want them but I felt that I HAD to have them even after refusing. So I became over heated and had to run back to the bathroom and put cool water on my face. I then asked for ice to suck because I was so hot. Eventually I asked if the air-con was on and the nurse said she thought so only to come back and tell me sorry it had been off! I was so overheated I felt horrible. I insisted on the infusion coming down to the rate I can handle and coped a bit better. My arm is covered in bruises from their attacks of putting the jelco in and I am unimpressed. I think anyone...whether they even had really high platelets...would suffer bruises because it really hurt badly today!
Thanks Denise for being with me today. I got through it and am now at home. So this was not a nice start to medical things for me after my holiday. I was horrified. I wanted to cry so badly.
do you think I am complaining too much...sorry if that is what it feels like.
Hopefully this week won't have bad IVIG reactions because of them running it too fast today at some point. Last time they did that I had a very bad week.
My favourite nurse was not there today. The male nurse I spoke of last time. I know he would have spoken up for me today and he would have been checking if I was all right.
It is my neice's birthday this Saturday. She turns one. We got her "My first Rider" for her birthday. Hmmm...it is exactly what it says...a little rider for her. She is now crawling and pulling up a bit. I have not seen her for about 6 weeks. She and her family went on holiday and when they were coming back we were leaving and so we missed each other.
Hmmm...how do I put photos on this site. I will have to ask Alan. I want to post some of my holiday.

Let me see...hang on....ok, I think my next post will be the photos. Alan is busy right now and i need to wait until Isaac is in bed.

In a couple of weeks I have another ENT appointment to check an area on my tongue...under it actually. We have been deciding whether to biopsy it or not. It actually has vanished a bit.....we were not sure if my bouncing neutrophils were causing all the ulcers and stuff....this white section actually peels off part of my tongue. I have not got a sensitive spot there anymore and I can't see white at the moment. So we will have it checked again. I am also due my annual scope for head and neck cancer and my annual MRI of my head to routinely check for cancer.

I should be able to have that big gynae surgery in January. I have been very well. I am hoping to get back to work for a shift or two before Christmas....not push it. And be back at morning church soon. I am doing well with energy levels and I know my boundaries very well. I just need to work within my boundaries and know that people realise I am doing my very best.

Well that is all for now. Thanks for checking up on me. I will try and post photos very soon.
Love Charisse

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Adelaide. What a great holiday!! I am glad you had such a good time. Let's hope that today was a temproary bad experience and won't have lasting effects this week. We will pray that way.

Good to have you back.

Lots of love Dad

Anonymous said...

Charisse, I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday
with Isaac and Alan. So sorry to hear that your first
medical appointment was so horrible. No, I don't
think you were complaining too much. You have every
right to be upset after going through that. I pray
that you do not have awful side effects from the IVIG
this time, and I'm praying about the sore on your
tongue, for the head MRI, for the scope for cancer,
and for the surgery in January. I love you heaps and
miss being able to talk to you on yahoo. Hugs, Jennifer

Judy said...

I am so glad you had such a great time on holiday. I have been thinking of you a lot and have missed reading your updates. Hope you continue to have more energy, and good health.
Love ya,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back and safe and sound. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip. You were missed while you were gone. I'm sorry the Strawberry Farm was closed. That's too bad. Sorry to hear about your arms being all banged up from the blood draws and infusion. I know that is no fun. Take care and we'll chat soon.

John

Anonymous said...

Sry u had such a bad time w/ ur IV. I would have yelled at the nurse if I were u.

I have had similar experiences. IT's awful. I usually know that it's hard 2 find a vein so I tell the nurses.

When it comes 2 inexperienced people I always tell them before they even touch me 2 look 1st and if they can't find any viens that they should call some1 who knows what they're doing.

I also tell them after the 3rd time that if they don't get the vein then I will just come back another day.

THey aren't happy w/ that but hey they're not the 1's getting stuck so many times.

Again I'm really sorry that that happened 2 u charisse.

Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great time but oh do you need a vacation again after all you went through with the IVIG.
Reading Isaiah today and these words brought such a wonderful picture to my mind...oh for that glorious rest! Still praying!
Isaiah 11:1-2, 10 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD...And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Anonymous said...

What a comfort to know that we have a dear Father to go to in prayer! Praying right now!
Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray!
Hebrews 4:15-16 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that I can pray for you!
Philippians 1:2-4 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,

Teresa said...

Hi Charisse!

Sorry to take so long to actually leave a comment. I read this the other day and wanted to leave one, but the baby was too fussy.

It sure sounds like you had such a special time. It figures the baby would wake up. I think he can sense when I am typing you! I better go. I'll write more later. I do have lots to say;-)

Anonymous said...

God's Word is the only source of true comfort! Still here praying!
Joshua 1:8-9 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Anonymous said...

Sharing a special psalm of thanksgiving. Know that I continue to pray.
Psalms 100:1-5 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Anonymous said...

Praying!
Psalms 57:1 Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

Anonymous said...

Still praying as always!
Isaiah 25:8-9 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it. And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.

Anonymous said...

Know that I'm here praying!
Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Anonymous said...

Praying right now.
John 16:33: These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Anonymous said...

Trust in the Lord at all times! Continuing to pray!
Psalms 143:8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.